Chapter 5

After exploring the book store section of the cafe, we decide to walk around town. We don't really shop, but more like walk til' we drop. There seriously can't be a part of this town that Kate and I have not stepped on.
It's a dream of mine to be able to explore a major city like this. I've never even walked around one, only drove through on my way to the beach one year. I will walk the streets of a busy city one day, or more like night. So the lights, so blinding and captivating could finally reflect in my eyes.
I talk to Kate about this and she seems to have the same idea. It's really nice to have someone on the same page as you. Of course, in her dream, we walk these lit-up city streets with guys. She tells me consistently. Deep down, I want that too. I dream of walking down a lit-up boulevard, holding hands with the love of my life. I just haven't told her, or even let it show, really. Every time she says something about it, I just reply mundanely.
~
When I get back to my house, it's pitch dark outside, with only a few stars. It's only slightly chilly, contrary to the other nights this week. I feel the need to check the time as I approach my door. 10:30. I knock on the door six times and ring the doorbell four before Cody, my 12 year old brother, unlocks it, not even having time to open it before returning to his video game. I shove it open, kick off my shoes in the foyer, and start upstairs. On my way up, I hear rummaging coming from my room. Oh no. I know what that means. I enter only to find my 3 year old sister, Ella, surrounded in a nest of my clothes. I notice something blue clutched in her fingers. It's making it's way to her mouth about the same time I realize what it is. It's that blue pill. I lunge toward her and yank it out of her hand. My mom walks down the hall and past my room, hearing the commotion.
"You really need to do a better job of hiding your meds. You don't want to kill Ella." She says, passing my room quickly. I roll my eyes as I clip the pill into a meds compact and toss it even higher up on my shelf.