Episode 58: The Star Beyond the River

Start from the beginning

Driving as Jeong Hye-min instructed, Han Hae-woon’s expression hardened as he looked at the road signs. They soon arrived at their destination, and Hae-woon’s car came to a stop.

“Thank you. I can call a taxi for the way back.”

Jeong Hye-min said, getting out of the car. Hae-woon followed suit.

“Are you staying… long?” he asked.

“No, about 30 minutes,” Jeong Hye-min replied.

In response, Hae-woon opened the back seat door and put on his jacket.

“While I’m here, I’ll pay my respects to the deceased and give you a ride home. You mentioned it was just a phone call, but you saved my life.”

“…Alright then,” Jeong Hye-min said.

Leading the way, Hae-woon followed Jeong Hye-min. Initially, he had no idea that the place he was supposed to drive her to was a crematorium where his remains were kept.

Though brightly lit, the corridor exuded a chilling atmosphere. As they walked along, they saw numerous urns in the alcoves.

Standing in front of the brightest spot, where Baek Hyun’s urn was placed at eye level, Jeong Hye-min spoke.

Hae-woon silently followed, offering his condolences beside her. After a few minutes of silent presence, Jeong Hye-min spoke again.

“My husband did dangerous things for the country,” she began.

Hae-woon, overwhelmed, listened silently without responding.

“As a habit, he used to say that if he died, I shouldn’t hesitate to meet a good person again. Every time he said that, I wanted to sew his mouth shut.”

Hae-woon, startled by her icy tone, involuntarily silenced himself.

“Despite his loyalty to the country, all that came back was mere money. I didn’t need compensation like bereavement pay, I just wanted my husband’s body back.”

“His body…?” Hae-woon inquired, looking at the urns.

In a melancholic voice, Jeong Hye-min answered.

“They refused to disclose any information about the date and circumstances of his death. Thanks to that, I don’t even know when he died. I ended up visiting on his birthday instead of a memorial day.”

“…”

Upon reflection, it was the 23rd. Although the month was different, today was his birthday. Perhaps, since his death, a woman incapable of driving had been coming here by taxi or bus every 23rd.

What kind of belief could cause such pain to those around him? Seeing his past life’s wife grieving over his death, Hae-woon’s eyes unexpectedly welled up with tears, like a faulty faucet.

“…Are you crying?”

Jeong Hye-min asked, surprised to see the usually stoic Hae-woon shedding tears.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m just a bit emotional,” he replied.

“…Thank you. It’s comforting to see someone shedding tears for him.”

Seeing another person’s tears, Jeong Hye-min’s own emotions welled up, and tears formed in her eyes. After a while of mourning, she spoke again.

“Let’s go now. I appreciate your help today.”

“No, not at all.”

At the request of Jeong Hye-min to be taken to the building where the Pilates academy is located, Han Hae-woon steered the car in that direction. Suddenly, he remembered something and asked Jeong Hye-min in the back seat: