Chapter Sixteen

Sylvester
I'm in school early as usual. After the exciting weekend, I am a bit eager to see Kate again. Trying to make myself as inconspicuous as possible with my head bowed down.  I saw someone's foot on my way and immediately swerved to the right to continue on my way. Suddenly, I am held by the back of my collar and pulled back. I look up in shock to find Alex smirking down at me. This can't be good.

"Hurrying to class? You couldn't even stop to say Hi." Alex said feigning hurt.

"Now be a good boy and follow me quietly." Alex said placing his hands around my shoulder. I followed him with trepidation flowing through my veins.

We walked out the school building and went to a hidden corner beside the gym where Ben and three others were waiting. Alex roughly shoved me to the dirty wall. I'm surrounded in a half circle. There goes my chances of escape. Not that I would actually give it a go. Just saying.

Situations like this haven't happened in a long time. I've been carefully avoiding being noticed especially by Ben and his friends. The days when I wasn't lucky enough, I got away with doing assignments for them. This must be because of my friendship with Kate.

"I see you hanging around Kate a lot recently. Are you Besties now or what?" Ben said with his hands in his pocket.

"N-no, w-we are not" I said shaking my head profusely. Everyone in school knows that Ben has a thing for Kate but she never spared him a time of the day. I don't think he'll appreciate the fact that Kate and I are becoming good friends (with benefits)

Ben stepped forward and gripped me by my collar." A little birdie told me that you even attended her party last Friday"

"N-no..." I replied hoping this lie can save me.

"Bloody liar!" Ben said giving me a nasty punch to my stomach that sends me to my knees clutching my stomach in pain.

"You dare lie to my face? You must have forgotten your place" He stepped back and told Alex and the others to teach me my place. Oh no!. I sent a quick prayer to God to save me. With the first kick to the ribs, I fell into a fetal position and braced myself against their attack. Almost immediately, the bell rang and after a few more hits, they stopped. I've never been this happy to hear the bell.

"Take this as a warning to stay away from Kate" Ben said already on his way to class. I waited till they all left before shakily getting to my feet. I  assessed the damage on my body. Bruises are already forming on my stomach. My right side hurts like hell. Thankfully my face was spared from the assault. That would have made it almost impossible to hide and I am not a good liar. I quickly used my hand to dust my body and make my way to class.

A few more months and I'm out of this hell called High school.

*********************************
I

t's Thursday. I've been avoiding Kate since Monday. In the classes that we had together, I entered the class just before ot starts and left as soon as the bell rang. I made up some silly excuse to Kate to avoid coming on Tuesday. I am feeling a lot better now. It only hurts a little when I stretch. I was lucky nobody found out about what happened on Monday.

And here I am outside Kate's house wondering if I should ring the bell or just go home. I am a bit late today and Kate's car is parked outside so I know she's inside. I miss hanging out with Kate. I was used to being alone but not anymore. I am just going to have to risk it.

I finally rang the bell and Mrs McCarthy, Kate's nanny opened the door.
"Good to see you Mr. Paige" She said with a warm smile on her face. I nodded politely in return. She ushered me in and went up the stairs to let Kate know that I'm here.

I stood awkwardly by the door to wait for Kate. Kate came down the stairs dressed in a short white dress that flayed at the waist paired with black flip-flops. Her hair is packed in a messy bun and she looks beautiful as usual. Kate stopped a few steps in front of me.

"You came..."

" Yeah. I did"

"Didn't really see you these past few days Ves. Have you been purposefully avoiding me?" Kate looked offended.

"No... I.. maybe?" I said flustered shifting from foot to foot

"Is this about last weekend? I thought we were cool on that?" Kate asked confused.

"It's not that..." I said struggling to say to find an excuse." It's not because of you... well it is but... I just..."

"Ves" Kate cut in

" Yeah?"

"It's alright. You are here now and that's what matters. We can talk about that later. Follow me to my room?" Kate doesn't wait for my reply and start climbing up the stairs. I followed her close behind.

We arrived at her room. I flushed a little when I remembered what happened here. Kate's Mac is opened on her bed and the TV is on showing a random action movie. I move to sit on the chair by her desk again but Kate drags my hand and pulls me to the couch by the foot of her bed. The plush couch can seat four people comfortably. I sat a safe distance away from Kate. She gives a pointed look at the space between us but doesn't comment. Kate lowered the volume of the TV to a background noise.

"So... I got a B in the Chem test" Kate said with a blank face.

"That's good news... Right?" I asked confused as to what she's feeling now. Kate has a good poker face.

A big smile breaks out on her face," That's a fucking good news Ves!. And it's all thanks to you. You are a good teacher."

I smiled relieved that there was progress.

"You are a good student" I compliment shyly.

"I know that you were avoiding me for some reason, but can this good student properly say thank you to her teacher?" Kate said in such a way that immediately made the room several degrees hotter.

***************************

A/N: I want to say a big Thank you to all my readers that have not given up on my story. You are the best.
Pls remember to VOTE, COMMENT and RECOMMEND. I'm really looking forward to your comment, whether good ( hopefully) or Bad( constructive criticism pls)