SIR LUCAS

A red haired man walked into the class, his name Lucas. He was tall and muscular. His face was hard and struck fear into those who saw him.

Layla always wondered what his true purpose was in the Academy. He wasn't a teacher. There were three teachers for three subjects and Lucas wasn't one of them. Robert for combat training, head matron, June for general studies, and Ellen, for spell studies.

However, he was always among the teachers during dining. Layla also usually saw him accompanying Sheila, so she assumed he was something like an assistant. So maybe, he was Sheila's assistant that wasn't a teacher but more important.

Ellen's voice broke her out of her train of thoughts. She was the actual spell studies teacher. She had white hair and icy blue eyes like Harry and always wore a blank expression.

"Lucas is here to assist me in today's class."

Layla studied the others, they seemed  to it. Maybe it wasn't the first time something like this was happening.

***
Layla yawned and she exited the class. She had expected something scary would happen considering everyone's first reactions, but nothing really happened and the class went on as usual.

"Ah, I'm so glad nothing happened. I thought my heart was going to fail suddenly." Nova rejoiced beside Layla.

"Is he really that scary?"

"Scary?! He's a demon in human form! "

It wasn't Nova that replied her. It was Thomas. He was glancing around to make sure no one heard him.

Hopefully, I don't get to find out how scary he is.

After dinner, she headed to Sheila's office for her extra classes. As usual, she met Lucas there. Except today, he didn't seem to be leaving as usual. She didn't fear him before and now, after all, he hadn't done anything to warrant it. Despite that, she still wanted to avoid him and anything regarding his bad reputation.

"I have a small mission outside the Academy for you Layla. Lucas will be accompanying you as a guard. "

Layla shuddered at Sheila's words. It was like the universe was mocking her.

***
"Take care Layla. I'll be praying for your safe return.", Nova said as she waved Layla goodbye. Even as she was seeing her off, she still stood far back from the carriage where Lucas stood.

So dramatic.

Layla waved back at Nova before she boarded the carriage.

The mission required her to leave the Academy. Apparently, someone had requested her skills as a physician. Layla was surprised at first. There were other physicians they could have requested for. Why bother going out of your way to request for someone who wasn't available.

However, she quickly realized that they didn't need her skills as a physician, but rather, her special magic.

Not many people knew of her existence and powers, so whoever it was was important. Sheila had expressed her reluctance to let Layla use her powers, but there had been a letter from the King and Layla's parents, so there was nothing she could do.

Layla sighed. The request had come from a close friend of the King, the Prime Minister but Layla didn't even know how her powers. She hoped they wouldn't expect too much from her.

The carriage stopped and its driver informed them of their arrival. The carriage ride was silent all through and Layla was glad to finally alight the carriage.

Alright, let's get this over with.

They were immediately ushered into the house. The guards had been skeptical about allowing Lucas to enter with his sword with him, but it was part of the conditions placed before Layla was allowed to come.

An attendant guided them to where the treatment would take place, explaining as they went.

"The young mistress has been ill for some time now. We had Sir Augustine treat her but there was nothing he could do. The master was terribly distressed as the young mistress is his only child and the apple of his eye. But you appeared like a miracle and we hope you'll be able to heal the young mistress."

Layla was about to say something in reply when she felt something swiftly pass by her. A small chunk of her hair was gone.

Lucas drew his sword in response to the person - or object. However, whatever the thing was was way faster than he was.

He chased the figure down the hallway and stopped at a window. He lingered on there for sometime before returning. He had a complicated expression on his face.

Bad news.

The attendant sensing that something was wrong tensed up.

"We'll be taking our leave now."

It was the first time Lucas had spoken throughout the trip.

"Please wait, sir. You can see the young mistress first before leaving. I'm sure it won't take long."

"I am to prioritize the savoir's safety over anything else. It was one of the conditions placed, right?"

"B-but surely, you can reconsider."

"We'll be taking our leave."

Layla followed Lucas out of the building. She didn't have any weapon with her, so Lucas was her only  defense.

It was only after she was in the carriage that she finally relaxed.

But, could the family have tried to kill her?

No, it wasn't likely. She shook her head

If they made any attempts on her life, it would bring dire consequences.

Besides, if an attempt was made on her life, she would immediately return to the Academy without seeing their daughter. It would make more sense if she was attacked after the treatment.

Or was the whole sick young mistress thing faked?

No. She shook her head again.  They had permission from the King and even her parents. She was sure they couldn't have faked that.

"Stop."

Lucas's voice broke her out of her train of thoughts. The carriage too had stopped.

"I need you to do something, Layla." As he spoke he looked around suspiciously.

Layla alighted from the carriage. Lucas's plan was to use her to draw the enemy out since she was most likely the target.

Soon enough, a figure came after her.

But, it didn't reach her.

Lucas swiftly attacked the figure. Even Layla's inexperienced self could see that the enemy was strong.

Dodging Lucas's attack, the attacker made for his throat.

The enemy was strong, but not stronger than Lucas.

Grabbing the attacker's hand, Lucas bashed his head on the carriage and dented it.

Layla watched the entire fight bewildered.

Yeah, I can see why he's called a demon in human form.