KATHERINE'S DEATH?

Layla stood observing Katherine as she spent her last moments. She had finally woken a few days later after Layla's last visit. Her daughter had been all smiles to see her mother finally recovering but Layla knew better.

She still couldn't stand so she was placed in a chair observing the view. They were in a small garden, the only one in the undercity. It had been built by Layla's family as a gift to the undercity. The inhabitants of the undercity cherished the garden and took good care of it. It was fitting that she spent her last moments there.

Layla wasn't normally supposed to be there. She usually tried to avoid  observing the deaths of her patients as it would sometimes be too painful. People died around her all day, so to protect herself from the pain, she distanced herself from them. Layla being there was a show of her respect to the woman. But, even as she stood there, she didn't feel that sad. At least not sad enough to cry. She had had patients closer to her.

Layla looked at the little girl, beside Katherine. She was smiling unaware of the tragedy that was about to befall her. Beside her, Nathan was crying silently. She had already told him what was happening. She wanted to stop him so he wouldn't make Katherine's daughter suspicious but she let him be. He was still a child after all.

'A few more tears and you'll get used to it.' She thought as she caressed his hair. This time he didn't complain about being treated as a child.

The quiet atmosphere was suddenly disturbed by Katherine's cough. The cough was accompanied by blood, a lot of it. Layla hurried to her side to attend to her. By now, Katherine's daughter was starting to suspect something.

"Are ... Are you fine Mom?" She was already losing the voice she had just regained.

Katherine didn't reply and instead looked at her solemnly. She knew her daughter was going to be fine. Layla's family had decided to take her in to train her as a physician.

Another cough came, bringing even more blood. She knew she was going to die soon. She was at least a little glad she knew when she was going to die. It gave her the opportunity to say her goodbyes and enjoy her last moments.

She watched as people came, saying their final goodbyes. Layla was still beside her, helping her everytime she coughed up blood.

"Layla, can you recite that old poem? "

The poem she was referring was one that told the story of a lonely doctor who had started planting to help with his loneliness. The first verse described how he took care of his flowers, marveling at their beauty.

The second verse became darker as it continued the story with the flowers contracting a disease. The doctor had tried to help them fight the disease, but all his efforts were in vain. As his flowers wilted, his loneliness returned.

A small tear streaked down Layla's face. It was a sad poem, one Layla related to well.

Katherine smiled sadly. She knew the poem was reminded Layla of a painful memory. She had once mistakenly heard Layla recite the poem. Since then she had always liked the poem and had asked Layla to teach her. She felt a little guilty about asking her to recite the poem since it brought her so much pain.

She was about to say something to Layla, when something burned her. It was the hand with which Layla held her. Her body temperature was rising rapidly. Katherine tried telling her, but got no response.

Suddenly, Layla's hair started turning white, as the plants in the garden started wilting. Katherine started feeling all her strength returning to her as Layla fell unconscious.

It was as if Layla had given Katherine all her strength.

***
Layla let out a scream as she woke from her nightmare. There were droplets of sweat all over her body. Her head was hurting badly, like it was being constantly hit with a malllet.

'What happened? What had she been doing before she fell unconscious? '

"I was... Where was I?"

She struggled to remember what had happened before.

"Layla?"

Her mother's voice broke her out of her disorganized thoughts.

"What's happened to me? Why am I in bed? "

"Shhh, it's okay. Just go back to sleep." Her mother soothed her to sleep.

Over the course of the next few days, Layla slipped in and out of consciousness.

After ten days, she had fully regained all of her strength. She had freaked out when she realized she had been unconscious for ten whole days. By now, Katherine would have already been buried.

Even now, she wasn't really sure of her death because her family had dodged all her questions regarding Katherine. They even refused to answer how she fell unconscious. Things were even more suspicious when she realized Katherine's daughter wasn't with them. Wasn't the plan to adopt her after her mother's death.

She tried sneaking out to the physician's office. Her mother wouldn't allow because she had just woken up but the physician's office was her only source of getting the gossip she needed.

As she opened, she was greeted by the face of her mother. She instinctively moved back and let out a small shriek.
She looked at her apologetically hoping she could avoid her mother's wrath. But, no words of anger came, instead her mother spoke with a somewhat solemn voice.

"You have visitors. Come with me."

Layla obediently followed her mother as she ordered. She made no effort to further explain who the visitors were. She even had a sad look in her eyes. What was going on?

***
The mysterious visitors were the Prince and an older woman along with a few servants. She had green hair and green eyes indicating she was a mage. Her mother had  introduced as Sheila. She was the principal of the Academy that catered to mages.

Layla's confusion was apparent on her face, so Sheila spoke up.

"Layla, I don't want to waste any time, so I'll be quick and direct."

She then directed her words to someone other than Layla, presumably one of the servants that accompanied her.

"Bring her in."

The her they were referring to was Katherine. Layla's eyes widened in shock as she saw the woman. A few days ago, she had looked like a skeleton, but now she looked the picture of health.

'Okay, what's happening here? '