𝟬𝟬𝟬, the scream heard across the world

DEATH RATTLEchapter zero

DEATH RATTLE
chapter zero.

MAXINE MORANA HATED PARTIES. The crappy music, the cheap alcohol, and the idiotic teenagers that ran amuck around the bonfires and darkness. It all made Maxine shiver in disgust. Why she allowed Caroline Forbes to talk her into coming was beyond her comprehension. Max knew Caroline would leave her the second alcohol hit her stomach and a cute boy started a conversation, but she still allowed herself to agree and wore a skimpy outfit that Caroline gave her to borrow. Now, she was left leaning against a tree with a red solo cup in her hand and a frown etched upon her face. Max could see Caroline messily dancing to pop music with a guy laughing as he watched her, she could see Elena Gilbert and Matt Donovan having a conversation, and she could see Vicki Donovan selling whatever substance she had to some poor teenager. Yeah, Maxine Morana needed to get the hell out of there before she lost her mind.

She had forced herself to drink one cup of beer with Caroline; it felt disgusting in her empty stomach, but she still picked up another one after she was done. It was as if something in the air, a force field almost, was making her choose things she would never do on any normal day. Max has only two cups and she was dizzy. There was no way she was tipsy from two cups. "Fuck," She muttered before throwing the cup of beer she had onto the ground. A third would send her over the edge.

She walked over to Caroline who was still dancing like a maniac. "Care... Caroline."

Caroline let out a giggle before looking over at Maxine. "Oh, it's you," She commented with a smile. "What do you want?"

Caroline Forbes was very drunk.

"I don't feel good," She replied. "I'm going home. Do you want to come with me?"

The blonde rolled her eyes. "Noo, I'm having fun," She responded. "You can go home and be boring."

Maxine dryly chuckled. "I will," She stated.

The teenager turned and started walking away, she knew in an hour or so Caroline would call sobbing because she didn't have a ride home, but she decided not to speak about it. Maxine just wanted to get home and go to sleep. The girl's house wasn't too far, so she made the decision to walk, Max was used to walking everywhere in Mystic Falls since she didn't have a car, but the darkness was making her a little creeped out.

Halfway down the dark road, Maxine felt a headache coming. She didn't think two beers would make her head hurt, but she also wasn't expecting them to make her tipsy, so she shook off her weird gut feeling. Suddenly, the headache turned into something worse, like someone was stabbing her with an icepick over and over again.

"J- Jesus Christ!" She exclaimed as she grabbed the temples of her head. Maxine let out a wild cry as she crouched down onto the road. She wanted to scream out for help, but all she could think about was the searing pain that was going through her brain. The headache turned into something worse— she couldn't breathe. It was as if she was being waterboarded. She grabbed onto her throat trying to grasp any air she could. Maxine rolled around the ground, hoping, praying, that someone would save her or put her out of her misery. She had never felt pain like this before.

Miranda and Grayson Gilbert.

A small whisper was heard in her ear and it was their names. Suddenly, the whispering grew louder and louder until Maxine forgot about the pain she was feeling. All she could think about was Miranda and Greyson. Her friend's parents. Their faces were inside of Maxine's brain along with the repetition of their names. Maxine Morana wanted to scream.

So, that's what she did. Maxine screamed as loud as she could and all the pain went away.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Around the world; supernatural beings stopped in their tracks. No matter what they were doing, they stopped as they heard the ear-shattering scream. Vampires and werewolves covered their ears in pain as witches and warlocks had a knowing look come into their eyes. There was no doubt about it.

A banshee had been born.