Chapter Five: A Killer Hangover

Start from the beginning

"Morning Emma," she corrected.

"That's better." Mom refocused on the pan of bacon she was frying.

"Smells good, Emma," I complimented, putting extra emphasis on her name as I reached to snatch some food she swatted at my hand.

"Oh no you don't. And that's Mom. You're not allowed to call me be my name," she told me, laughing lightly. I pouted.

"But Mommy! I hungwy!" I whined like a 2 year old, grinning from eat to eat when I got what I wanted.

"It's only because you're annoying."

"Guess I need to be annoying more often," I mumbled through my mouthful of deliciousness.

"Try it and see what happens."

I stuck my tongue out at her when she turned around, and Charis giggled.

"Don't stick your tongue out at me, little lady. Not if you want to keep it. Plus, I can still ground you." Our giggles ceased, even though we all knew it was an empty threat.

"Okay, okay. I'll behave," I said, raising raising my hands in surrender.

"Good. Now eat, because I can't eat all of this by myself," she said, sliding a plate of pancakes and bacon in front of me and efficiently ending the conversation.

*****

Three pancakes, five pieces of bacon, a glass of milk, and two cups of coffee later I sighed, leaning back in my chair and laying my hand across my overly stuffed stomach.

"Mmm..."

"I agree," Charis said, nodding at me. "Thank you, Emma. It was really good,"she complimented, smiling at my mother. I hummed once again, this time in agreement, still too full to speak.

"Well, thank you, hon." She smiled at Charis.

"Oh, Mom," I exclaimed, sitting up suddenly as I remember that I needed to ask her something. "I forgot to tell you. Mark asked if we want to go see a movie," I said as I pulled my buzzing phone from my pocket. It'd been what reminded me, vibrating with a text. I looked at the screen and, seeing a message from Mark, unlocked it to read the full thing.

From: Mark

So you wanna go see Tomorrowland, right?

To: Mark

Mhmm

From: Mark

Well, there's a showing at 3:45. How does that sound?

From: Mark

We can go eat after it's over.

To: Mark

Sounds good.

From: Mark

Okay. Do you wanna meet at the mall or should I come and pick you guys up?

To: Mark

Um... Lemme ask Mom. One sec

From: Mark

Okay

I glance up at Mom, who has one eyebrow raised disapprovingly. She hates it when we use our phones at the table.

"Um, can you take us to meet him at the mall?" I asked, giving her me best puppy dog eyes. She sighs, shaking her head.

"What time?" she says by way of reply.