Chapter Five: A Killer Hangover

"Get up, Becca! Get your lazy butt out of the bed and come open this door!"

Who was yelling at me? Better yet, why were they yelling? Where was all that light coming from? And was that that annoying noise?

It took me a minute to realize that the noise was my phone ringing, the light was from the sun outside my window, and the yelling was coming from the hall outside my bedroom door. I quickly sat up and grabbed for my phone, answering it as I ran for the door and yanked it open.

"Hello," I said as the door opened. I was not at all surprised to see that Charis stood on the other side, one hand raised as if to continue with her incessant pounding and the other holding her forehead. I shot her glare, which she matched with one of her own, as I listened to the person on the other end of the phone. It was Mark.

"Hey Bec. I was wondering if you and Charis want to catch a movie later?"

"Um, sure. I don't think we have anything planned. Hang on," I replied, grunting as Charis leaped on top of me with a squeal.

Covering the microphone with my free hand, I rolled her off of me and pinned her down by sitting on her.

"Wanna go see a movie with Mark later? I think Tomorrowland is out now." I gave her a questioning look, one eyebrow raised.

"Yeah. Sounds fun," she said quickly, flipping me over and standing up on my bed, pillow in hand and evil smirk on her face. Uh oh. She let out a war cry and dove at me. I screamed, lunging to the side and narrowly avoiding an incident.

"Bec? Everything okay there?" Mark asked. I almost forgot I was still on the phone with him.

"Uh, yeah. Everything's great. Can we go see Tomorrowland?" At this point, Charis had recovered from her miss and looked to be scheming again, so I was sitting warily at the top of the bed, watching her.

"Mhmm. I'll text you about it later."

"Okay. Bye, Mark," I said breathlessly as I hung up. Charis had managed to tackle me and, while I had kept from screaming, I had not been able to fend her off. She was currently sitting on my waist, holding my hands above my head. I brought my knees up and wriggled my wrists, finally escaping her grasp. "C'mon. I'm hungry." I walked out, phone in hand, while I listened to the sounds of her scrambling up from the floor to follow me. I just shook my head.

She caught up, grumbling somehow under her breath about a migraine, so I shoved her into the bathroom as we passed it and told her to take an aspirin.

"I already did!" she whined.

"Then quit griping and c'mon," I retorted.

"Well, someone's cheery."

"You tried to kill me first thing this morning! How long have you been up anyway?"

"I don't know. What time is it?" she asked, looking around for a clock.

I glanced at my phone. "11:45. I can't believe Mom let us sleep in this late."

"It fine by me," she said as we neared kitchen.

"Morning Mom," I said cheerily as I walked in. The room was full of the smell of frying bacon. I inhaled deeply, enjoying the scent.

"Morning baby. Morning Charis," she replied with a smile.

"Morning Mrs. Thermon."

"I don't know how many times I'm going to have to tell you, Charis. Call me Emma. "Mrs. Thermon" makes me feel old," she scolded lightly, winking. Charis blushed slightly.