Chapter Four: The Party

"Ouch!"

"Just sit still Becca! Gah!"

"You're pulling my hair out! I can't just sit still! It hurts, and I don't wanna be bald!" I exclaimed, glaring at Charis in the mirror. She just smiled and batted her eyelashes innocently. I rolled my eyes, glancing at my hair before looking over my face, scrutinizing the makeup that Charis had already applied.

My green eyes had flecks of gold in them, brought out by the golden brown winged eyeliner, and my eyelashes looked long and thick thanks to the multiple coats of mascara Charis had covered them in. My skin, mostly clear before, was now flawless and glowing. I kind of looked like a porcelain doll. It was weird.

But hey, I felt pretty, even if it wasn't natural beauty.

"Okay, I'm done!" Charis announced. I'd been too busy thinking about what could happen tonight to notice that she'd spun me so my back was to the mirror. "Are you ready to see?" she asked, and I nodded. "Okay. One... Two... Three!" And she spun me back around.

Okay, now I looked a lot like a doll. Charis had pulled the sides of my hair back from my face and straightened it all to perfection.

"Do you like it?"

"Do I li- I love it!"

"Great! Mkay, now for your outfit." She grabbed my hand, pulling me into my bedroom to stand in front of my closet. "Hmm..." She surveyed my clothes. "What about this?"

I looked at what she was holding. Red skinny jeans and a light gray top.

"Yeah, I don't know..."

"Okay," she rummaged around some more, "this?"

Black ripped skinny jeans and the same gray tee.

"Actually, nevermind. This?" She held up a pair of normal skinny jeans and a white and green off-the-shoulder top. I smiled.

"Yes. Definitely." I told her.

"Yay! Now shoes." And with that, she turned back to the closet.

I glanced at the clock. 7:30. We still had an hour and a half until the party, and it was a good thing. I had a feeling this was gonna take a while.

*****

As it turns out, I was right. Though I was ready by 8, settling on some silver sandals I didn't know I had, Charis hadn't even started; it took her until 9:10 to get ready. It was now 9:47, and we were finally pulling up to the party.

It was crazy. Since we were over half an hour late, the party was in full swing. People, cups, and bottles littered the front yard, and cars lined both sides of the street. I stopped about a block away, not wanting anything to happen to my car.

"Ready?" Charis asked. She had on an oversized, blue and black plaid shirt that she'd left unbuttoned over a white tank top and a pair of black leggings. Her black converse, messy bun, and natural makeup were the final touch.

"Let's go," I replied, pulling the keys from the ignition and tucking them into the pocket with my phone as I opened the door.

It was loud. I could feel beat in my chest, and people were yelling and laughing everywhere. Not long after we got there I lost Charis in the crowd.

So I stood by the door, searching for a familiar face. I finally gave up, making my way toward where I hoped the kitchen was so I could get a drink. I tugged on the fridge door, rummaging around until I found a bottle of water. No way was I gonna drink anything. We needed to get home in one piece.