𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 004

Start from the beginning

Apollo stepped out of the homestead, where Newt had led him before he fell asleep. Told him that this is where everyone slept, further towards the back are where the leaders and keepers slept. Nets made makeshift beds for some, but they all slept just as easily. Not Apollo though. He couldn't sleep. Whether it be the moist hot air, or the sounds of scraping and loud noises beyond the doors that separated the Glade from the Maze – he wasn't sure.

He made his way towards the mess area, the kitchens being on his mind. He must have not been alone in that though. A boy with darker skin, chubbier cheeks, and an apron sat down near the counter on a makeshift stool with half of a sandwich in hand. Hearing Apollo’s footsteps made him look up, a slight purse in his lips as he took in the sight of the Greenie.

“Whatcha doin’ up this early, Greenie?” His voice was soft, but also got to the point.

“Couldn't sleep,” Apollo shrugged a little, walking over leaving a few feet in-between them. He stood awkwardly before the boy, who he hadn't met but had heard from only yesterday. Fry, Apollo remembered his name was.

“Well, take a seat.” He ushered towards a stool off to the side near what looked to be an oven. Sliding it over, Apollo carefully sat down and adjusted accordingly so that he was comfortable. “I'm Frypan.” Frypan. An odd name, but then again Apollo knew better than to judge.

“Apollo—”

“Figured as much, nobody is exactly subtle when remembering their name.. And there's really no secrets in the Glade either.” Frypan grinned a little, holding out his slightly chubby hand. Apollo felt his cheeks warm beneath the boy's gaze, taking his hand they exchanged a firm shake before letting their hands drop again. Frypan set his sandwich down on the counter, he seemed to not give a hoot about what dirt and stuck on foods seemed to be painted across the counter top touching his food. “So.. Ya’ can't sleep, do ya have any questions about that Glade? I know Alby can be a bit straightforward and down to business.”

Apollo hesitated, but nodded and smiled a little. “I seem to remember the small threat about questions.” He chuckled softly, and Frypan grinned a bit. “What's a shank?” Frypan grinned a little more, letting out a small laugh as he rubbed his hands against the apron that hung over his front half.

“Shank.. It's uh.. It's, well, sort of a term of endearment… We came up with these sort of terms that replace fowl words.. Like…Instead of shit – it's Klunk.” Apollo raised a brow, lips quirking into a small smirk.

“Klunk? Do I want to know?”

“‘s the sound that turds make when they hit water.” Frypan snickered.

“Why so touchy about fowl words?”

“Minho,” The boy sat back a little yet not too far as to lean off of his small stool. The darker boy leaned against the counter, resting his arm and moving his weight from his core to his arm instead. “Shank ended up cussing a whole lot when he first arrived – about two months afterwards Newt got tired of it and told us to come up with other words besides that.”

“Newt? Newt got tired of cussing?” Apollo’s lips pulled up into a smirk, brows knitted together in amusement as he held back a laugh. Frypan chuckled.

“Sure as hell did.”

“Alright then, so what about shuck? Is it supposed to replace the word fuck?” Frypan nodded, grinning.

“You’re getting the hang of it, Greenie.. You catch on quick.” It was more obvious than him catching on. Shuck. Fuck. The same words all in all just a little more kid friendly.

“What about you? What are you doing up this early?” Frypan glanced over towards the doors, then back at the newbie as he let out a sigh through his nose.