S1 EP9: The Empty Child Part 3.

Start from the beginning

"The bomb's under that tarpaulin. They put the fence up overnight. See that building? The hospital?" Nancy says.

"What about it?" the Captain asks.

"That's where the doctor is." she says. The Doctor zooms in to get a better look at the building. "You should talk to him."

"For now, we're more interested in getting in THERE." the Doctor says while looking at the crash site.

"Talk to the doctor first."

"Why?" he asks.

"Because then maybe you won't wanna get inside." she says before walking up the steps leaving the two men.

"Where you going?" the Captain asks her.

"There was a lot of food in that house. I've got mouths to feed. Should be safe enough now.

"Can I ask you a question?.." She looks at the Captain "Who did you lose?" he asks her.

"What?" she asks, looking at him, even the Doctor puts the binoculars down and turns to look at Nancy.

"The way you look after all those kids. It's cos you lost somebody, isn't it?" the Captain says.

"You're doing all this to make up for it." the Doctor adds.

"My little brother. Jamie. One night, I went out looking for food. Same night that thing fell. Told him not to follow me. I told him it was dangerous. But he just..." she shakes her head. "he just didn't like being on his own." she tells them with a few tears forming in her eyes.

"What happened?" the Captain asks her softly.

"In the middle of an air raid? What d'you think happened?" she says. The man just nods his head.

"Amazing!" the Doctor says looking up to the sky.

"What is?" she asks.

"1941. Right now, not very far from here, the German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe. Country after country, falling like dominoes. Nothing can stop it, nothing. Until one tiny, damp, little island says, 'No! No...not here." he chuckles a little. "A mouse in front of a lion. You're amazing, the lot of you. Dunno what you do to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me." the Doctor tells her. Giving her a little bit of hope.

"Off you go, then. Do what you've got to do. Save the world." the Captain tells her. Afterwards the two men walk down the steps leaving Nancy watching them briefly before also leaving. Something watches Nancy leave, it follows her up the stairs.

___________

The two men walk up to the gate of Albion Hospital, the Captain pulls out his sonic screwdriver and uses it to unlock the padlock, he opens the gates and they walk to the entrance of the building.

Inside the two men walk down a long, dark ward, every bed has a very still patient in it, and they are all wearing gas masks. The two men leave the ward and walk down an empty corridor, they walk into another ward they are shortly accompanied by an elderly, grumpy doctor appears, leaning on a walking stick.

"You'll find them everywhere. In every bed, in every ward. Hundreds of them." the man says.

"Yes, we saw." the Doctor says.

"Why are they still wearing gas masks?" the Captain asks him.

"They're not. Who are you?" he asks the two me.

"I'm... Are you the doctor?" the Doctor asks.

"Dr. Constantine. And you are?"

"Nancy sent us." the Captain tells him.