Chapter 18| Hannah

I've barely made it back through the tunnel, to my side, when the doorbell rings, the sound echoing in the otherwise quiet house. I scramble to my feet, dusting off my clothes, and go to answer the door.

April stands there, Chinese food in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other. "I got the goods," she declares, smiling broadly, her blonde hair blowing in the wind.

"What are you doing here?" I say, opening the door wider so she can walk in.

"Only being the best friend you've ever had." She places the food and the wine on the living room table.

"So, did you talk to the police?" April asks, setting the food out on the counter, as I pour two glasses of wine.

"Yeah, and I filed a police report. They're starting an investigation. They said they're going to talk to Kyler, try to figure out what's going on. They might call you to get his contact info."

As if they could hear me, April's phone rings. When she looks at the screen, she smiles. "Speak of the devil," she says, looking at the phone. "Hello, this is April."

"Yes, this is she."

"Kyler? No, I haven't seen him. Not for a few weeks, but I know he's still in town."

Silence on her end as the person on the other line talks.

"Yeah, I have his cell number, and a friend's address he might be staying at. I can give you both. And a photo, if you want."

A short pause.

"Yes, thank you. Bye."

"Well?" I inquire, eager to find out what was said.

"That was someone called Officer Gordon. He was the one you spoke to today, right?"

"Yeah, did he say anything?"

"He just asked for his contact information, any places he may be staying. I'm supposed to text his number with that and a photo of Kyler. I guess they want to know what he looks like. Oh, and he also wanted to know if you were okay, if he had come around."

I sigh, a mixture of relief and apprehension. "I just want this to be over. I'm tired of him hurting me, and I want him to pay the price for his actions."

"Well, you're taking steps in the right direction, and that's what's important. It's a start."

"But do you really think this is going anywhere? What if they can't find him?"

"I'm sure they'll find him," she assures me, and I hope that she's right. "And if they don't, I will. He never stays away from family for too long. He'll be at our parent's place by the end of the week, trust me. I know my brother." But as soon as those last words leave her lips, her whole expression changes. "Or, well, at least I thought I did."

Her gaze turns back to me, taking me in, taking in the bruises her brother left on me. "I really had no idea. If I had known he was doing this, I would have done something. I'm sorry, Hannah. So, so sorry."

"It's not your fault," I reassure her, not wanting her to feel bad. How could she know her brother would do this? How would she have known he had done this to me before?

"I could have stopped him. I could have helped you," she says, guilt seeping into her voice.

"You couldn't have known," I say, and I mean it. "Besides, it's not your responsibility to look out for me."

She shrugs her shoulders, letting the topic drop, but the guilt remains, weighing her down. "Now let's eat. I'm starving."

I nod in agreement. "Me too. What did you get?"