Chapter 4

Leonardo's POV

A smug grin appeared on my face as I stepped away from the chopper, dodging the sword that just missed me.

"Bentornato fratello (Welcome back brother)" a voice drawled from the shadows.

"I didn't expect you to be so afraid, that you would start attacking from behind," I replied meeting his gaze with a challenging expression. Judging by the flicker of annoyance that crossed his face, it seemed to work.

Just as he opened his mouth for a comeback, a maid hurried towards us.

"Prince, His Majesty requests your presence, along with Master Romeo." I gestured for her to leave before entering the palace.

"How was your island trip? Heard there are plenty of beautiful women there," Romeo sarcastically remarked, clearly trying to get under my skin. If he weren't family, I swear I'd... well, let's just say the thought wasn't pleasant.

"Save the small talk for the King," I muttered, brushing past him without another glance. I made my way towards the King's private office, Romeo reluctantly following suit. I entered the office, followed by Romeo who knocked before entering, only to find the King gazing out the window, his back towards us.

"Your Majesty," Romeo bowed deeply.

The chair turned around, revealing the man holding the most powerful position in the country. His gray hair shone from the moonlight, enhancing his sharp features. His gaze meets mine like the two powerful oceans locked in the Cold War. I always hated having the same eyes as him, but now when I look at them, they are tired and lost. Unlike mine, which can bring down a fucking CEO on his knees.

"Give Michel his company back," the King spoke, breaking our silent confrontation, his attention shifting back to the documents on his desk. I wasn't surprised he'd discovered the acquisition so quickly. The surprise lay in his request, his assumption I'd simply hand it over. Remarkable.

The reason I am back today in this palace is standing right beside me with a disgusting smirk. I looked at him with a bored expression. My mind already started getting irritated in anticipation of further conversation.

"I am leaving for Paris tomorrow to complete the takeover," I declared trying not to sound annoyed because of his previous order, ignoring Romeo's wide-eyed disbelief. He has just returned from America a few months ago. He is not aware of things happening around here. But he should get the idea clear that no matter who holds the title, the power belongs to me.

The King didn't take kindly to my announcement. He slammed his file shut, his voice laced with a threat. "Watch your tone, young man!" he barked. As if that would affect me. It never did, even when I was a kid. I remained motionless, devoid of any reaction.

"Nothing else to discuss?" I asked, my tone unbothered. "Then I'll be on my way."

His anger burned hotter. He rose from his chair, his glare boring into me. He would have started his old school story about how a Prince should behave, but to his unfortunate luck, Nonna (grandma) entered his office.

"What's all this yelling?" she asked, her voice laced with amusement as she looked at her son. Then she saw me, and her face softened. "Dio mio! My grandson is back!" she exclaimed, reaching for my hand with her fragile, yet firm grip. She was the only reason I ever bothered to visit this palace. My expression shifted to a little softer as I squeezed her hand gently, in assurance. Despite her age, Nonna remained the most powerful woman in Italy, the Queen Dowager herself.

Romeo said from behind, "Grandma, I'm here too."

"You live here, silly," Nonna dismissed him with a chuckle, sending him a mock-annoyed look. Her attention returned to the King and me. "If you two are finished arguing, let's have dinner."