1982

Steve shuffled into the hallway to escape the chill of the late morning, peering around at the empty hallways as he made his way to his locker. He had somehow lucked out and lacked a first period that year, which meant it gave him ample time to sleep in, and get ready of course.

He peered down at his watch and realized it was halfway through first period as he slowly clicked his combination lock open to slide his things into. Once all of his things were safely packed away, he coincidentally heard some chatter and laughter coming his way, rolling his eyes as he prepared to interact with his two best friends, who had given him a reputation of a bully.

" Steve! My guy! " The boy hears behind him. Tommy of course, grabs Steve by the shoulders briefly before Steve turns around to face his two friends, already slightly irritated " I heard you were hanging out with a certain freshmen last night." Tommy says, chuckling lightly.

"She's pathetic" He follows up, and Steve subtly clenches his jaw as to not lash out at his so called friend. " I know! I was only ever nice to her because of how much of a loser she is" Carol chimes in, slinking herself under Tommy's arm with a sly grin.

"I mean she thinks she's is prettier than she actually is." She continues. Steve closes his eyes, growing more and more annoyed at his friends badmouthing one of his genuine friends, one of his honest friends.

Tommy and Carol are laughing to themselves when Steve cuts in " Cmon guys you don't even know her " He says, clearly peeved. Tommy stops laughing and steps up the the boy in front of him " So what you're saying is you're into her." It sounds more like a statement that a question

" That's not what I said at all" Steve deflects, getting more agitated by the second " You're just being an ass, Tommy." Steve's response is met with a laugh " Whatever man, she's a freak." Tommy responds, earning an even more pissed off expression. "Honestly Tommy get a life." Steve responds, pushing roughly passed his so called friend at the sound of the bell ringing, making no effort to say goodbye nor hide the anger Tommy had caused him to accumulate.

Steve didn't know what about that made him so upset, but what he did know, is that Autumn hadn't done anything to deserve the harsh words that Tommy had said, and he wasn't going to let him insult someone he called a friend.

— ☆ —

The final bell began to ring as Steve and his class all began to shuffle out the door, anxious to get home. When the boy had finally squeezed through the door, he began searching the hallway for a familiar mop of dark auburn hair.

When he finally had located Autumn in the sea of teenagers, he began to try and catch up with her " Autumn! " The boy called out. He watched as she perked up for a moment before beginning to walk a little faster, not turning around at all. As he finally caught up to the girl after many attempts to call her name, he grabbed her shoulder to alert the girl of his presence. " Autumn, hey, quit walking so fast" He says, attempting to walk beside her. "Are we still on for studying tonight? We can go swimming in the pool again" No response "Autumn?" He says once again.

Steve elicits no response, finally jumping in front of her to stop her from walking away. She looks up at him, her cheeks flushed red to match her watery eyes. " Autumn are you okay? What happened?" The boy exclaims. Autumns pained expression morphs into one of anger as she takes a big step back from Steve. He suddenly grows wary and mildly upset at the girls demeanor " Did I do something? " He says softly.

Autumn scoffs and looks away from the timid boy at her feet " Just go away, Steve."  she says, her eyes beginning to water again as she says it. "Autumn what happened?" He says, but she's already gone, walking quickly across the parking lot to get to her moms car, only looking back at the boy once, who is standing in the same spot he had been left by the Autumn, Even more confused than before.

— ☆ —

A/N:

I HAVE SO MABY NOTES FOR THIS PLZ READ IT ALL :(

1. I have been patiently waiting to make his pov of what happened that day and THERE YIU GO!!! Their friendship is over but the flashbacks aren't! I'll do a few of the hangouts to show the whole friends vibe they had (minus the romance from the last chapter...)

2. I was editing the chapters and realized I wrote an ENTIRE CHAPTER in first person randomly??

do y'all prefer one big chapter or it cut up like this?

GO DO SOMETHING YOU LOVE YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!!