1983

It was the first week of fall, the sun had began its dormant cycle and became a dull haze of yellow in the sky. It had been raining the night before so the air smelled like pavement as Autumn peddled to school. She was a sophomore now and life had begun to pick up again.

Her and Nancy had become good friends as well as Barb. Autumn was much closer with Nancy than Barb but still had civil conversations as well as disagreements on several different fronts. Nancy had begun her romance with Steve which had led to many arguments among the girls, leaving a wedge between Barb and Autumn's friendship.

Part of Autumn still had feelings for Steve, sure she had grown completely as a person and now wouldn't even bat an eye at any guy, especially Steve, and after last year she frankly hated him; but sometimes she would wonder what I would be like if he and her were friends.

She locked up her bike and strolled into school halfway through first period. She didn't have a first period most days so she always took her time getting ready when she had the chance to.

The pavement was littered with dozen of puddles across the parking lot and even school steps from the midnight rain. As she stepped across the wet lot in her white converse she heard the faint sound of an engine getting closer. Before she could react, suddenly the car was pretty much right in front of her, speeding past a giant puddle, drenching her. She let out a loud gasp as the entire front of her was soaked in water. The car in question whipped around a few feet in front of her and stopped. "What the hell??" She yelled, looking up. The passenger door and driver door swung open and out stepped Carol and  Tommy "oh I'm sorry did we hit you?" Carol whined.

Autumn stood there in total shock. Her brand new converse she had been saving up for were now covered in mud. "What the actual fuck is your problem?" She snapped. Autumn had experienced torment from the two of them since last year but they never acted on it. "It was an accident I swear!" Tommy started laughing to himself. He closed his door and walked up to the distraught girl.

Autumn knew in that moment she would look pathetic if She didn't stand her ground. "But I will say" Tommy continued, "it was hilarious" he stepped closer as the school bell rung "and you deserved it" he backed away from her and slung his arm around Carol.

"Autumn?"
A voice came from behind her and she whipped around immediately. Of course it was Steve and Nancy, hand in hand. "What happened to you?" He questioned, making eye contact with Tommy and Carol. "Since when do you care?" Autumn said, pushing past them into school. Autumn didn't even wait for what he had to say about it. Thinking back there wasn't a single time he had said anything directly to her hurtful or mean but she was so scared of the day that would come.

"Autumn come back!" Both Steve and Nancy stood at the end of the hallway, calling out to Autumn in hopes she would turn around.

— ☆ —

A/N:

Hi cuties

Shorter chapter that I'll put somewhere for some background but also bc there will probably be another VERY long Steve-less flashback chapter to REALLY develop her character and her and Dustin's (and the kids) relationship