The Angel Under My Nose

Summary:

Imagine Gabriel and Sam meeting at Stanford and starting dating. Sam goes on his hunts with Dean, and Sam has to break up with him, not wanting to drag a human into this life.

✡️✡️✡️

Sam thought that as the years passed, it would get easier. It should get easier; he hasn't seen Gabriel in over five years or talked or heard about Gabe since the breakup.

It was hard.

He let the love of his life go, and sometimes—when he is feeling particularly less bitchy to his father—he knows what it felt like to lose his mother and go all bat shit crazy.

He had to walk away, no matter how much—all—of his heart will forever be in Gabriel's hands, and no matter how much he wanted to stay in that shitty little apartment forever.

God, he wished that Dean had never come and got him. Maybe then he could've lived in ignorant bliss about the things that bump at night. But then, he knows his brother needs him, and this life they've chosen to live can't be done alone. He knows that, and part of him is glad to be back with his brother, but a part he keeps hidden—will forever wish that he never left the apartment in the middle of the night with Dean.

~~~

"I'll be back before Monday. I have my interview, and you are waiting for me," Sam said as he grabbed a few clothes from the closet and the duffle he keeps in the far back that he never thought he would ever use again.

"Wow, Sam-a-lam, is your interview of higher importance than mine?" Gabe mocked, offended, and sighed dramatically. "Now I'm going to be one of those people who are in love with someone who loves their job more."

"Shut up, you know I love you," Sam grumbled but did walk over and leaned down to give Gabe a passionate kiss. "Plus, I need to build up our future." Gabe blushed bright red whenever Sam mentioned their future.Their. As in together. In the future.

"Be safe, alright," Gabe whispers, and Sam smiles and can't help but kiss his boyfriend again.

"Don't worry, sunshine," Sam whispers and pecks Gabe's lips again before grabbing his bag and leaving the room.

The hunt showed Sam just how easy it was to fall back into the life he grew up in. He hated it. After being out for four years and having that apple pie life, he didn't want to go back to the hunting world. Not when he had Gabriel.

However, that had all changed when he returned to the apartment, and the place was on fire. He knew it was a demon, especially after talking with the firefighters, and was told that the fire started on the ceiling and there was Gabe's blood on the bed beneath the fire. Luckily, Gabe was fine, but that incident just told Sam that the things he hunts will come after him, and if Gabe is still a part of his life, then it will also come after him. He can't ruin another person's life by dragging them into this world—not when they have a chance at a happy life.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Sam had said through tears when they returned to their apartment. "I already put the downpayment to cover the repairs. I am so sorry, Gabriel."

"What? What are you talking about? The fire isn't your fault," Gabe said with a frown and wrapped his arms around Sam's neck.

"It is," Sam said, extracted himself from Gabe's embrace, and turned so his back faced Gabe. "I can't drag you into my mess. You deserve a chance at a happy, normal life, and I can't give you that. Not with how I grew up or what I did for most of my life. I can't do that to you, Gabe; I love you too much to do that to you."