CH 42: SLAY THE MASTERS (2/2)

Start from the beginning

For the royal guard, the battalion in charge of guarding Rhaenys, the captain personally picked by Ser Barristan was a man named Marselen. He was originally from Naath, just like Missandei, and had chosen to return to his birth name upon regaining his freedom.

According to Ser Barristan, he was blindly loyal to Rhaenys. Both he and his younger brother, Mossador. But while Mossador was still young, Marselen was a skilled warrior who knew how to lead.

The infantry battalion was the largest of the five, having 6,000 Unsullied all on its own. After going through every man, Grey Worm had ultimately picked an Unsullied who had given himself the name Hero.

Grey Worm considered him to be the most appropriate choice for the position of captain and after meeting him, Rhaenys had to agree. Hero might not be the greatest warrior there was, but he could find his opponent's weakness and exploit it to the max on the battlefield.

Each of the captains had already assigned lieutenants to the units within the battalions. During this time, they would train and work around the city as needed or guard the perimeter in case someone came to cause trouble. A few times a week, they would come to report their activities and training to Rhaenys, and also to add names to the records when new men wished to join the Unsullied.

The days were busy but at least Rhaenys had something to keep her mind occupied with while they prepared to sail to Westeros. Purple Weasel, the recognizance battalion captain, was the one Rhaenys turned to last. "How are the former Masters bearing?"

"They haven't done anything suspicious until now, Your Grace. Some of them have joined the citizens in their work. A few have begun preparing to start businesses when the market starts flowing again."

The vast majority of Wise Masters had been thrown out of the city with just enough supplies to travel to Meereen. There were a few who wished to remain, however.

The little birds were sent to keep an eye on them, but Rhaenys also sent the recognizance battalion since this could make for good training for them. They had to find, on their own, ways to spy on others without being discovered. They had to gather information and ensure nothing escaped them. Before they went to war, they could practice here.

"I do suppose there are always people willing to welcome change." Rhaenys didn't trust every one of the former Wise Masters. She wouldn't be surprised if some of them only wished to remain to cause trouble or find a way to get to her. Or maybe they were waiting for her to leave to then work with the other Wise Masters to attack both from the outside and inside of Yunkai.

But Rhaenys also knew there were people who despised slavery everywhere. Some because of moral reasons, others because they saw it as an obstacle to progress. She knew that the title of Master was just something every noble had in Slaver's Bay. It didn't mean every single one of them owned slaves or mistreated those owned by their families.

Either way, if the former Wise Masters wished to become part of the new Yunkish citizens and start from the bottom, Rhaenys wouldn't stop them. So long as they didn't harm anyone or provoke her, she wouldn't make things harder for them.

After the reports were done, Rhaenys let the men return to their duties. Their schedules were quite packed. Not only did they have to physically train and go on patrols, but they also had to take classes on the Common Tongue and other basic subjects.

Only Grey Worm remained with Rhaenys. "Is there anything else you wish to add?"

Grey Worm had basically mastered the Common Tongue during this time, only his strong accent reminding others that it was his second language. "Your Grace, when we reach the Seven Kingdoms, I will take revenge for you. I swear it."