CH 42: SLAY THE MASTERS (2/2)

– Yunkai –

Rhaenys traced her fingers over a full plate of armor held up by a wooden mannequin. The armor was light, not as heavy as the standard armor used in Westeros. It didn't offer as much protection, but it allowed for those wearing it to move faster and not be as bothered by the heat.

The armor was mainly black like obsidian, so dark that it could disappear in the night. On the shoulder pads were something similar to spikes which resembled the protrusions on a dragon's back. Dragons were engraved in several places, but the most notable one was the three-headed dragon in the center of the chest.

The helmet remained similar to the Unsullied's except for the addition of a dragon posed at the top, its nostril falling directly on the forehead and two black wings spreading to each side of the helmet.

The armor was meant to only cover the head, shoulders, torso, and throat, maintaining much of the original design of the Unsullied's armor since that's what they were used to. For the Unsullied who mainly relied on their agility and speed, armor like this was better than something that covered more skin even if it would provide more protection.

Rhaenys turned away from the armor and toward the group of blacksmiths she had found. Astapor specialized in its Unsullied, so they had also trained slaves to forge armor and weapons. "This one is perfect. Make every other one like this as well. Just add the changes we discussed. Do the same for the shields and spears."

"Of course, Your Grace. We have enough people to finish in time."

Rhaenys didn't want her army to be exceedingly fancy with their armor and weapons. Her main aim was for people to know exactly who this army fought for.

The spear would only have a dragon curled around the tip and the shield a three-headed dragon fully covering it. As for the armor, Rhaenys wanted it to resemble the traditional armor of House Targaryen.

"I will be waiting for your good news then." Rhaenys left soon after and headed to the hall with the five stone chairs. By the time she arrived, Grey Worm was already waiting for her there with five other Unsullied.

They turned to her to greet her before Rhaenys had even fully entered the room. Rhaenys returned the greeting and moved to stand with her back to the stone table, facing the six Unsullied. "You may start your reports."

The battalions had been divided and the five captains in charge of each one had been picked. During this time, the captains had also found lieutenants to take charge of the separate units within their battalions.

Under Grey Worm's suggestion, Brown Possum was named captain of the medic battalion and was now learning from former slaves medicine alongside the 100 Unsullied assigned to him. Both Yunkai and Astapor were filled with slaves knowledgeable in medicine and the human body, so there were enough teachers to pass around.

The Masters loved their lives more than anything, so they trained a whole team for every single Master. It's amazing how the Masters left their and their families' lives in the hands of the slaves they had imprisoned and tortured. It was even more amazing how none of those slaves ever dared to act. However, right now, that had allowed Rhaenys to find enough people to not only teach some of the Unsullied but also to care for the citizens here.

Purple Weasel, also suggested by Grey Worm, became the captain of the recognizance battalion. He was still young, but the kid was quite sharp and knew how to best utilize everyone's abilities.

Duran, whom Grey Worm had suggested for the recognizance battalion as well, ended up becoming the captain of the archery battalion. He already knew some archery from before being enslaved, so he joined Qoren's training and excelled more than anyone expected.