Chapter 7

Since your discussion, Miguel has gotten a bit protective.

Maybe protective is too little a word.

"You shouldn't leave your door unlocked. What if that spider-guy comes back. Ese demonio."

He makes an angry little face as he walks into your apartment, somewhat scouting the area.

"I think I'll be fine Miguel."

"You can never be too careful."

Then he persisted to monitor the doors everytime you would exit or enter a room.

That was just the start. When dealing with certain chemicals in the lab, he insisted that he conduct the experiments. He'd come to the conclusion that your parents must have been exposed to some kind of gene that passed over to you. Then he argued that the chemicals could interfere with your already altered genetic code.

"Better safe than sorry (Y/N)."

The door to the containment chamber slid shut and you stared as Miguel went to work.

During your break he'd barely left your side. You could tell he was distracted. While you did calculations, he would glimpse over every now and then to ensure that you weren't too far away.

After work he insisted on dropping you back. Even if it meant that he had to follow you in his car and then head to his place.

Layla had noticed the strange behavior. You couldn't exactly tell her what was going on.

"Is everything okay, Miguel has been acting weird. Yesterday I tapped him on the shoulder and he reacted like I was an assassin coming for his head." She joked.

You merely laughed it off, telling her that you both had watched a pretty tense movie and now Miguel was a bit antsy. She seemed to buy it. You wish there was a way you could ease his nerves. Because it was actually pretty sweet that he was taking such care, but you couldn't really do your job with him bodyguarding every aspect.

That night when he stopped by your house, you intended to explain just that.

Although the situation was difficult, there needed to be a compromise of sorts. One that you both could benefit from.

"Would you like a drink Miguel?"

Maybe the alcohol would ease his nerves.

When you didn't hear a response, you were a bit confused.

"Miguel?"

Turning, you spotted him a few feet away. His eyes were focused on the blank space next to the fridge.

"What if one day I come back and you're not here."

You don't expect him to say that. He looks terrified just at the thought.

"I promised that nothing would happen, but I can't protect you. What if he comes back and takes your from me. What should I do? W-What would I do.."

You couldn't believe you didn't see it before. Of course he was scared. But seeing him question his abilities like this is hard. Most of your life you've had to figure out how to deal with your grief on your own. You've never had to shoulder it with anyone because the people that you cared most about always ended up leaving you. One way or another you felt like you always lost. Now that you have Miguel, that has significantly changed. You can provide this comfort.

You step over taking his hands.

"If he comes back, then we'll figure this out together. You and me. Remember. That was the deal."

He knows, because he made the promise. But it doesn't make him completely confident that he'd be anywhere near strong enough to fend off some superpowered vigilante.

All he can truly do is put his faith in you.