Chapter Sixteen: Rise of the Greens

Start from the beginning

The threat was thinly veiled, and the insinuations terrible. "Which of us are you accusing of regicide Lord Beesbury?" Lord Jasper hissed, leaning forward in his chair. "Whether it was one of you or all of you, I care not. I will not-" the elderly man was silenced as he was forced back into his chair with such anger his head slammed against the table. The only member of the small council to defend Rhaenyra... dead. Alicent gasped as Ser Criston, her sworn sword, killed the man with no hesitation.

Ser Harold Westerling drew his sword and pointed it to the knight. "Throw down your sword and remove your cloak, Ser Criston" he ordered, as was protocol when sullying the white cloak of the kingsguard. When the latter didn't move, he ordered once more. "I am your Lord Commander, Ser Criston. Cast down your sword" instead of following his order, Ser Criston gripped his sword even tighter and remained vigil. "I will not suffer insults to her Grace the Queen" The green queen inwardly rolled her eyes.

"There was no insult to me, Ser Criston, put aside your blade" Alicent ordered, and eventually the Knight did as told. Ser Harold scoffed and sheathed his own sword once again. "Has it really come to this?" He asked incredulously. Otto placed a hand back on his daughters shoulder, urging her silently to regain control. "Enough, Lord Commander. Let us have Lord Beesbury removed".

Otto shook his head and the guards made no movement. "No. The door remains shut until we finish our business. Storms End is of concern. We may not assume the loyalty of Lord Borros... but he has daughters, four of them, all unmarried" Alicent closed her eyes and quietly prayed for an out to this horrid discussion, until the question on everyone's mind was put in the air. "What of Rhaenyra?" Lord Jasper questioned carefully.

For a moment, no one spoke. What of Rhaenyra indeed. "The former heir cannot, of course, be allowed to remain free and draw support to her own claim" the Hand delicately answered. Alicent sighed. "You mean to imprison her". "She and her family will be given the opportunity to publically swear obeisance to the new King" Grand Maester Orwyle reassured. "She will never bend the knee... nor will Daemon, as you know"

Alicent spoke and the room remained silent. And then it hit her. "You plan to kill them... and all here accede to this?!" The Dowager Queen cried hysterically, looking crazed at the table of men. Grand Maester Orwyle, ever the pacifist, chose to calm the woman. "Your father is correct, your Grace. A living challenger invites battle and bloodshed. It is...unsavoury, yes, but a sacrifice we must make to secure Aegon's succession" he spoke the truth, however unpleasant to hear. "And then there is Daemon to consider" he continued. "The king wouldn't wish for any unsavoury-"

"But the king did not wish for the murder of his daughter! He loved her I will not have you deny this" Alicent snapped, banging her hand against the table. "One more word and I will have you removed from this chamber and sent to the wall" She hissed as the Maester attempted to speak once more. For a while all that could be heard was the frantic breathing of the Dowager Queen. "Time is of the essence" Otto spoke softly as if to calm an injured animal. He turned to Ser Harold and addressed him directly. "Lord Commander Westerling, take your knights to Dragonstone. Be quick and be clean" he ordered, ignoring the dry sob his daughter let out.

Ser Harold moved, but not in the way they expected. He grabbed his white cloak and tore it from his armour, slamming it down on the table. "I am Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. I recognise no authority but the King's. And until there is one, I have no place here" his voice was strong and confident, and left the council stunned as he turned on his heel and left the room without another word.

~~~

Ser Harold let out a deep breath as he left the small council chamber. The new information he had received had shocked him to his core. He had been the commander of the kingsguard since Rhaenyra had been named heir, a Knight even longer than that. He may have been loyal to his work, but if that work was to usurp the rightful heir then he would leave his loyalties in the dirt. He began to run to where he knew Rhaenys the Younger was staying, hoping to the gods that the woman was still alive. As he turned the corner to her chambers, he saw that only one Knight guarded her doors.

"Ser Arthur" Westerling greeted as he approached the younger Knight. The lanky boy stood to attention and nodded at his Commander. "Is the Princess awake? There is an urgent matter to discuss" he questioned. Arthur seemed to hesitate before answering. "Ser Criston said not to let anyone in or out, Commander. Said it was the queen's order" Harold sighed and suppressed a groan, of course the loyal dog had been here. "Listen lad" he muttered, leaning forward and the younger doing the same. "Are you loyal to the Kingsguard? Or to the heir to the Throne?" He questioned so quietly it was almost unintelligible.

Ser Hasgard looked around quickly before responding. "Truth be told, Commander, I am loyal to the throne. Princess Rhaenys has always been good to me" he mumbled, green eyes cast to the floor for fear of treason. Ser Harold nodded and gripped his shoulder. "Good lad, which means you will do whatever to keep the Princess safe?" Once again, Ser Arthur nodded. Westerling sighed a breath of relief.

"You must find a way to get the Princess to Dragonstone. That is the only place she will be safe, do not ask any questions and tell no one of this. Do not even speak to your fellow knights of it" he warned, and Arthur's eyes widened. He hastily nodded and returned to his original position standing guard. "Understood Lord Commander" Harold let his lips curve into a small smile before rushing off once more. He hoped that the young man would survive, he had that charm and loyalty needed of a proper Knight.