Chapter Four: Driftmark II

{Queen Alicent's Chamber, Driftmark}

Everything was confusing as Rhaenys woke. She had a ringing in her ears, muffled voices, and her eyesight was blurry. She blinked continuously as she attempted to focus, groaning as she tried to sit up. When her vision focused, she could see she was on a lounge chair in Aemond's quarters. "Rhaenys, what are you doing? Lay back down" Queen Alicent came into view, forcing the girl to lay down again. The Queen turned back to a Maester who stood in front of who she assumed to be Aemond. "It will heal, will it not Maester?" She asked, her voice trembling. The maester sighed before addressing his queen. "The flesh will heal, but the eye has lost your grace" Alicent choked back a sob as she confronted Aegon, who was now sober.

"Rhae" Jace breathed out as he went to his twin's side. He pulled her into a gentle hug, kissing her head. "What happened? Oh god, Luce your nose" the golden haired girl gasped as she touched her brother's face. The doors opened as Corlys and Rhaenys the Elder stormed in. "What is the meaning of this?" Corlys boomed as Rhaenys walked briskly to the Younger's side. "Gods be good, my poor girl" Rhaenys began to weep. Rhae looked up drowsily and smiled weakly at her grandmother. "Let me through, let me see!" Rhaenyra's voice rang out as she ran into the room, hair disheveled. "Oh sweet girl. Who did this?" She asked accusingly, glaring straight at Alicent. "They attacked me" Aemond started, causing a shouting match.

"He attacked Rhaenys!"

" He broke Luce's nose"

"He stole my mother's dragon!"

"Enough" King Viserys called out weakly, yet being ignored by all.

"He was going to kill me!"

"We didn't do anything"

"He called us-"

"SILENCE"

The roar from Viserys silenced the entire room, bar Rhae who used the silence to speak. "He called us bastards, '' she said, her voice cracking at the word. The tension in the room was thick enough to cut with a blade of Valyrian steel. "Aemond '' Viserys rasped, turning to his son with an icy glare. "I will have the truth of what happened. Now" he demanded. Rhae sat up in her chair and leaned into her grandmother's side. Alicent scoffed and her lips trembled. "What else is there to hear? Your son was injured and her daughter is responsible'' Rhaenys glared at the older woman as she felt her grandmother stroke her hair. "It was a regrettable accident, '' Rhaenyra stated. "An accident? Prince Lucerys brought a blade to the ambush. He meant to kill my son!" The green queen cried, pointing at Aemond who refused to raise his head. "That's not true he attacked Rhaenys '' Rhaena said, before shyly smiling back at Rhae. Laena's youngest daughter was very reclusive, but the fierceness when defending her family was so very Valyrian.

"The legitimacy of my children's birth was put to question," Rhaenyra told her father. "What?" He walked over to his daughter, straight past his wife and other children. "My daughter is in line to inherit the Iron Throne. Your granddaughter, your grace. This is the highest of treasons. Prince Aemond must be sharply questioned so we might learn where he heard such slander" the princess clung to Rhae and glared at her stepmother. Everyone knew where Aemond had heard the said slander. The queen alicent and her sworn Knight were not exactly quiet with their distaste for Rhaenyra and her children. "Over an insult, my son has lost an eye. Our son, Viserys Alicent's lip trembled as she spoke. "Aemond... look at me. Your king demands an answer. Who told these lies to you?"

Aemond looked up finally, and his face could be seen clearly. His face was swollen and the stitches stuck out over his eye. The scar would heal but covered half of his face on the left side. He looked up at this mother, who had indeed been whispering treason into his ear for years, then to the king. "It was Aegon" he said loudly and all eyes moved to the now sober teenager. "Me?" Aegon was dumbfounded that Aemond had called him out. "And you, boy? Where did you hear such calumnies?" Viserys grew weaker the more he spoke, but persisted.

Rhae had managed to stand on her own and helped her Grandsire lean on her. "Grandsire, please take it easy" She begged him. Viserys looked at his cousin's namesake and his eyes softened. "This interminable infighting must cease. We are family. Now make your apologies and show goodwill to one another. Your father, your grandsire, your King demands it so" he gestured for Rhae to help him walk and she handed him to Ser Harold. "Thank you, dear girl," the king mumbled, kissing the child's head.

"That is insufficient. Aemond has been damaged, permanently. "Goodwill" cannot make him whole again. And you expect him to marry the girl who attacked him so mercilessly and took his eye?" Alicent would not allow Rhaenyra's children to go unpunished again, especially after attempting to kill her son. Viserys sighed and turned to his wife. "I know, Alicent, but I cannot restore his eye". Rhae hastily returned to Jace's side, holding his hand and pulling Luce close to her.

"No, because it has been taken!"

"What would you have me do?"

"There is a debt to be paid. His betrothal will be cancelled, and I will have her daughter's eye in return"

Everyone gasped and Rhaenyra moved herself in front of her heir. "My dear wife" Viserys began but was cut off by the mother's rage. "He is your son Viserys! Your blood" The Hightower woman had tears streaming down her face. "Do not allow your temper to cloud your judgment " Viserys's voice was hoarse, and he was clearly tired. "If the king will not seek justice the queen will. Ser Criston, bring me the eye of Rhaenys Velaryon " Alicent demanded. Ser Criston walked forward with his hand on his sword but was swiftly stopped by Baela and Rhaena's father, Prince Daemon. "Stay your hand, '' Daemon muttered. "You are sworn to me".

It was a pointless fight from the queen, and everyone could see. "Yes... as your protector my queen" he stepped back with his head bowed and Daemon nodded at Rhaenyra. "Alicent the matter is finished" Viserys used the remainder of his strength to speak loud and clear to the families in the room. "And let it be known, anyone who's tongue dares to question the birth of Princess Rhaenyra's daughter and sons will have it removed"

"Thank you, Father" Rhaenyra sighed in relief and allowed herself to breathe, releasing her children from her grasp. Rhae couldn't bear to look at Aemond, after everything that had happened. In the span of a single night he had lied to her, stolen a dragon from a grieving child, attempted to kill her, and had their marriage canceled. Rhae knew the strain between the two families and that now the rift between them was unfixable.

"Your Grace, stay with the king!"

"Alicent!"

The children let out a scream as they saw Queen Alicent coming towards them with a knife, only to be blocked by Rhaenyra. "Mother!" Rhaenys called out in fright, trying to get out of her grandsire's hold to help.

"You've gone too far," Rhaenyra snarled, fighting against Alicent to keep the knife away. "I? What have I done but what was expected of me? Forever upholding the kingdom, the family, the law. While you flout it all doing as you please" the green queen had snapped. She sobbed as she struggled to keep balance. "Alicent, let her go" Otto, her father and hand of the king ordered. Yet she ignored all sense as she continued.

"Where is duty? Where is sacrifice? It's trampled under your pretty foot again. And now, you take my son's eye and even then you feel entitled". The queen's rage frightened Rhaenys, and she hid in her grandfather's arms. Should anyone attempt to harm her, she knew the Sea Snake would protect her. Rhaenyra had lowered her voice, speaking so that only Alicent could hear her. Whatever was said had clearly shocked the queen, as she stopped her struggle and stepped back. Unfortunately her mother was still standing strong, causing her arm to be sliced. "Mother!" Rhaenys screamed, running from Corlys to Rhaenyra and holding her arm. The blade was Valyrian Steel, meaning the cut was clean and precise.

Everyone in the room held their breath and nobody moved, the queen dropped the blade to the floor with a shaking hand. Aemond chose his moment to stand and walk over to his mother, who was in need of grounding. "Do not mourn me, Mother. It was a fair exchange. I may have lost an eye and a bride, but I have gained a dragon". He rested his head on Alicent's chest, his remaining eye trained on Rhaenys. At that moment, the king had collapsed from exhaustion. The queen ordered guards to take him back to his chambers as she followed after him. Aegon, Helaena and Aemond followed swiftly after, leaving Rhaenyra with her family. "Everyone will return to my Chambers with me, I cannot let you out of my sight" She ordered, using her daughter as a crutch. "Baela, Rhaena, come with us" Rhaenys the Younger said to her cousins, receiving a nod from her grandmother in approval.