Chapter Seven: To Kings Landing, then?

{130AC, High Tide, Driftmark}

"It has been nearly six years since I last saw my lord husband, Maester" Rhaenys the Elder occupied the Driftwood Throne in the absence of her husband. She sat confidently and held council as though she were born for it, which she was some could argue. To her right stood Rhaenys the Younger, matured in both body and mind. Her grandmother's shadow in more than one sense, as not only did she observe council meetings but she also advised her grandmother when appropriate. To the left of the throne stood Baela, the Elder's ward. She too had matured, and had become the spitting image of her mother Lady Laena. Corlys, their grandsire, had been called away to the stepstones once more, the threat from the Triarchy alive again. In his leave, he had his wife take his seat. He had also encouraged his granddaughter to join her namesake, as preparation to one day rule the Seven Kingdoms.

"The ships Maester said he burns from within" a fever had overcome him. Rhaenys the Younger sighed and spoke up as all eyes watched her. "The ravens came in from where, Maester?" She asked, receiving a nod of approval from her grandmother. "From Evenfall, Princess". "So they arrive in three days. Let all be made ready to receive him, Maester Kelvyn" murmers and nods spread throughout the hall as the Velaryon princess spoke. She held the confidence and regalia of the future Queen indeed. "Dismissed" The Elder's voice rang out and she sighed deeply as the room cleared.

Soon all who remained were Rhaenys the Elder, the Younger, Baela and Vaemond-  The younger brother of the Sea Snake who had dreams above his station. "The sea snake is strong" Baela comforted her grandmother, and received a hum in response. "No doubt, and yet I have seen blood fever overcome men half his age" Rhaenys moved closer to her grandmother and held her hand, more for her own comfort. "I will not suffer the talk of crows in my house Vaemond" the older woman raised her free hand and Dismissed her ward. Baela bowed slightly to her grandmother and sister before leaving the room leaving the three alone.

"This is hardly the talk for a child, Rhaenys, why send one away but not the other?" Vaemond sneered at Rhae and the younger woman glared in response. "Rhaenys will be Queen of the Seven kingdoms one day, she will be your Queen one day. She will stay" the blonde girl smiled inwardly at her grandmother defending her so quickly. She owed the past years of her life to her grandmother, and was grateful for everything the older woman did. Vaemond ignored the words and continued on. "I love my brother but we must be honest with ourselves, ladies. We may greet his ship and find him gone. And who will take the Driftwood Throne?"

Rhae snorted and shook her head at what her good uncle was insinuating. "My grandmother seems quite content here, uncle" She said proudly. "She presides only in the absence of her husband. On his death the seat will pass" Vaemond snapped and stepped forward with intimidation. "Yes, if the Sea Snake should unfortunately pass the seat will pass. To my brother Jacaerys, as my grandsire intended" Rhaenys the Younger practically growled at the man. Rhaenys the Elder placed a hand on the Younger's and Rhae took a breath. "Go and attend to your sister, sweet pearl, I will deal with this matter" she spoke softly but with a sense of finality. The younger woman bowed to her and glared at Vaemond once more before exiting the hall.

~~~

Rhaenys found Baela waiting outside the hall, listening in through the door. "What do we do sister?" Baela asked hushed, taking a hold of Rhae's hands. The two began to walk to the castle doors leading to the shore, and Rhaenys comforted the younger woman. "We cannot do much, but I think someone else can" Rhaenys stated as she bit her lip. The women made their way to the shore where they saw Baela's dragon flying in circles above the water. Moondancer spotted their rider and immediately flew down to greet her, whilst Rhaenys continued to walk to the water and stopping once her feet were submerged. She remained a distance away from the bubbles in the water, but smiled as she spotted the movement of a tail come closer.