Chapter Nine: Family Reunion

{The next day}

"Are you sure you're ready for this sister?" Baela asked as she helped Rhae to dress. Despite the three women flying in to advocate for Jacaerys, Baela and Rhaenys the Younger wore dresses of Velaryon blue to support their house.  Baela had claimed her sister looked just like the Conquerer's sister. "I will be with you and Grandmother" Rhae replied, placing her father's ring on her finger. A simple black pearl wrapped in silver, but worn every day since losing Laenor. A gentle knock at the door snapped Rhaenys out of her trance and Baela called for the person to enter. "Rhaena" Baela gasped, running to her twin sister and embracing her tightly. The Dragon Twins reuniting warmed Rhae's heart, and she hoped her reunion with Jace would be as sweet. "Rhaenys, you look well" Rhaena said to her, unsure of how to approach.

Rhaenys and Rhaena had had less time to bond as the former with Baela, Rhaenys leaving for Driftmark as soon as her mother remarried. "No need to be so formal, come here sister" Rhae smiled and opened her arms for her younger cousin, closing her eyes as she felt Rhaena physically relax. Baela watched her sisters hug, and felt happier than ever. She and Rhaena had shared a womb, and a childhood, their bond was incomparable. And Rhae shared her adolescent years, and had been the sister she never knew she needed. Rhaena was the dawn of the day, Rhaenys was the dusk of the night.

"When did you arrive?" Rhae asked as they separated, leading Rhaena and Baela to sit on her bed. The three began to talk as though they had all grown up together, gossiping about Driftmark and Dragonstone smallfolk, discussing Rhaenyra's newest pregnancy, and dragons. "Where is grandmother? I wish to see her before the council" Rhaena asked. "The gardens, would you like us to accompany you sister?" Baela responded, standing to brush down her dress. The two women did the same and all began to walk to the door. "Thank you, but there is no need. However, Rhae, your mother wanted to see you" the woman in black said. Rhaenys groaned slightly and sighed. "Hopefully it is just she who wishes to see me" She pursed her lips, flashing an apologetic smile to the Dragon Twins afterwards. "I'll come with you to the Gardens, Rhaena, I could do with some fresh air" Baela decided as the three Valyrians left the chambers. "We'll catch up with you before the council, sister. Be nice" Baela warned Rhaenys just as they walked in opposite directions, Rhae towards the princess's chambers and the Twins to the Gardens.

~~~

Rhaenys was quiet as she walked through the Red Keep, deep in thought. What would she say to her mother once she saw her? Would Daemon be there? She shuddered at the thought of seeing her father's murderer.

She snapped out of her thoughts as she saw Helaena approaching from the other direction. Rhaenys always remembered her aunt fondly, if not just a bit weird. Her aunt had changed drastically however since her marriage to Aegon, she was paler and seemed like an echo of her younger self. "His name is death" Helaena whispered as she passed Rhae, causing the younger woman to turn around. "A name is but a cloud upon a summer wind, good aunt" Rhaenys called to the gold haired princess, and Helaena stopped to turn with a shocked smile on her face. She once again approached her niece and Rhaenys held out her hand for the woman, who took it tightly. "But the wind is felt most keenly in the dark" Helaena spoke more confidently as Rhaenys encouraged her. 'She may be weird, but even the weird need to be heard' Rhae thought.

"But what is the dark? Other than an omen of the sun" if Helaena felt the need to speak in riddles, then Rhaenys felt the least she could do was the same. Her aunt had a shine in her eyes, and squeezed her hand. "Every sun must set, good niece, and the son and the daughter of the father must rise" Helaena suddenly let go of Rhaenys's hand and walked off once more, not looking back. Rhaenys bit her lip and thought of her aunts words as she continued on to Maegor's Holdfast. 'The son and daughter of the father must rise?' She pondered on mostly.