Chapter Two: Endings and Beginnings

{Secret Passage, King's Landing}

Rhaenys had not meant to discover the secret passages throughout the castle, but they were indeed useful when hiding from the Septa or Aegon. The passages were also useful for when she wanted to overhear conversations that she otherwise would not have known about. The girl picked her dress up and walked up the stairs slowly, not wanting to make any noise as she snuck around- stopping once she heard the voice of the Hand of the King and his son, Ser Harwin himself.

"You have laid us open to accusations of an uglier treachery" Lord Strong spat at his son. His tone intrigued the young princess and so she placed her ear against the wall, hoping to hear what the issue was. "And what treachery is that?" Harwin sounded like he was tired, as if this were a conversation he had tried to avoid before. "Don't play the fool with me, boy. Your intimacy with Princess Rhaenyra is an offense that would mean exile and death... for you, for her, Ser Laenor, for the children!"

Rhaenys felt her breath get caught in her throat. She knew she was luckier than her brothers for being born with traditional Valyrian looks, and that people often whispered when they were with their father. But bastards? That was treason, and a big problem. The princess shook her head, having heard enough, and rushed back to her chambers.

                                                                          ~~~~

"Rhae, are you awake my pearl?" The voice of her father dragged her out of her daydream. She looked away from the window and gave her father a tired grin. "Father, my apologies' ' the pair often spoke in their mother tongue of High Valyrian, the language being their way of bonding. To onlookers, it was obvious that Laenor had a clear favorite child, often spending time on dragonback with Rhaenys in front of him. She may not have been his by blood, but he never treated her as anything but. Many times he would take his daughter on Seasmoke to Driftmark to meet with his parents, who saw his adoration for the Heiress. Rhaenys was eager to learn about Driftmark and their legacy as tamers of the seas, gaining the affection of her grandsire Corlys, and her grandmother fell in love as soon as the young girl gushed over her namesake and Melys. She may have looked like a mix of Targaryen and Strong, but she was a Velaryon at heart.

"Your mother calls for you, pearl, i suggest you make haste" Laenor kissed his daughter's head and took her hand, leading her to her mother's chambers. Once there, he ruffled her golden hair before leaving for the training grounds. Rhaenys knocked on the door and made her way in quietly. "Be good to your mother, lads" Ser Harwin spoke, holding Luce and Jace by their shoulders. He looked up to see Rhaenys and she immediately knew what she had heard was true. "Don't leave" she pleaded, running straight into the knight's embrace. Harwin held the princess close, holding her close to him as he did when she was a babe. "I will return, I promise" he kissed the top of her head before directing her to her brother's arms. Jace held his twin as she began to sob and Harwin looked at Joffrey. "I will be a stranger when we meet again" he muttered before kissing the babe's forehead. 

He picked up his sword and walked to the door, the small family following behind. "Princess" he bowed his head in respect as Rhaenyra gave him a longing glance. Rhaenyra turned and gave Joffrey to Rhaenys, who immediately began rocking and bouncing her baby brother. As Ser Harwin left their view, Rhaenys turned to her mother with a cold look. "Is Harwin Strong our father?" she asked harshly, gripping onto her brother tighter. Rhaenyra looked around for Luce, but the young boy had gone to wave Harwin off at the window, leaving the princess and her eldest children holding her youngest. "Are we bastards?" Jace whispered in disgust, looking from his twin to his mother. The princess pulled her children into an embrace, careful not to crush the babe, and muttered to them reassuringly. "You are Targaryen. That is what matters" she assured them, making Rhaenys pull away and give her brother back to her. "No. We are Velaryon, mother" she said determinedly, grabbing Jace's hand and walking away.

                                                                              ~~~~

"I take it he's gone?"

Ser Laenor stood in front of Rhaenyra as she walked down towards the training arena. Ser Qarl, sensing trouble, walked away to polish his sword. "We're finished here. We're leaving" Rhaenyra stated. Laenor looked at her confused. "But what of your offer? Rhae and Aemond?"

"They will still wed when they come of age. I have been undermined, Laenor, and made a spectacle. They whisper about me in the corridors, well I leave them to it" the princess spat, anger filling her once again. "To Dragonstone then?" Laenor sighed, looking back to his sword. "We should have left years ago. The wise sailor flees the storm as it gathers" Rhaenyra walked closer to Laenor as he scoffed. "Laenor... bring him. We need every sword we can get".

                                                                                             ~~~~

{Dragonstone}

The cold wind blew roughly as the Black's stood outside Dragonstone. Rhaenys and Jace stood together, Luce holding onto Rhaenys's hand with a tight grip. Rhaenyra and Laenor shared a look before stepping into their new home. 

"You okay?" Jace whispered into his sister's ear. She nodded, before resting her head on his shoulder. She would be, she was with her family.