Chapter Fourteen: calm before the storm

{Maegor's Holdfast, King's Landing}

A gentle knock at the door woke the Velaryon twins from their slumber, time having escaped them. Rhaenys quickly scrambled a suitable distance from Jace before calling for the door to be opened. Jace and Rhaenys both sighed in relief as it was only Baela and her sworn Knight, Ser Arthur Hasgard, to enter- the latter remaining outside. "You were supposed to call for me when you woke up, sister" Baela scolded playfully as she joined the two in the bed, pushing Rhaenys into the middle of it. Jace's fingers twitched to hold onto his sister but he restrained himself, not sure of how his now betrothed would react. "My apologies, sweet sister. I found myself falling asleep once more. Are you alright?" Rhaenys took Baela's hands in hers and guilt took over her once more. Baela was betrothed now, and despite him being her twin, Rhaenys had been in bed with Jacaerys. Baela sighed, looking at Jace then down at her and Rhaenys's hands. "I want to apologise to you, Rhaenys, I swear I had not known about the betrothal" the curly haired woman began, shortly cut off as Rhaenys pulled her into her chest for a hug. "I asked if you were alright, the news has been a shock for us all" Rhaenys reassured, placing a kiss on Baela's head.

"I understand that marriage for convenience is common, but I thought I would at least be exempt" Baela mumbled into Rhaenys's dress, shaking her head slightly. She lifted her head to see both Rhaenys and Jace looking at her with sympathy. "We know, cousin. And I apologise for not being the husband of your desire, but I will do right by you" Jacaerys spoke confidently, briefly looking to his own  desire. Rhaenys nodded at his words. "All we can do now is make the best of our situations" Rhaenys continued on, dropping her sister's hands. Jace moved out of the bed and offered his hand to his twin, and then again to his cousin once Rhaenys was stood. Baela stood in front of Jace, her tall stature allowing her to look directly into his eyes. "We may not be what the other had hoped for, cousin, but we can do our duty" She said, deflating slightly as she looked to the door. Ser Arthur stood outside diligently, unaware of his Lady's longing gaze from behind the door.

Rhaenys approached the betrothed couple and rested her head on Jace's chest, for what she hoped was not the last time. "The two of you will make an excellent Lord and Lady of the Tides. And when I am Queen, you shall have a seat on my council should you wish" Rhaenys hoped the offer would appease the two, and from the chuckles she received she assumed correct. The three sighed, allowing the silence to fill the room once more as the sun began to descend.

Ser Arthur knocked once more, and the three all took a step back to give off a reasonable distance. "My apologies, your graces, my lady, but the supper is due to start" he informed, his eyes remaining on Baela as he spoke. Jace cleared his throat and looked to his sister, smiling as she gave a reassuring nod. "Lady Baela, may I escort you to dinner?" Jacaerys held his arm out to his betrothed, ever the gentleman, and ignored the feeling in his chest as Baela took his to his side instead of Rhaenys. "Ser Arthur, would you inform the king and Queen that I am still recovering, I shall not be dining tonight" Rhaenys ordered the Knight, receiving a nod and a bow in response. The three left Rhaenys alone once more, and the Velaryon princess took a seat by the blazing fireside.

~~~

Jacaerys and Baela walked together in silence, Ser Arthur leading them to the dining hall infront. "How long has your sworn sword been your fancy?" Jace whispered, wiggling his eyebrows as Baela stiffened. The brunette couldn't contain his laugh as Baela stuttered a response. "Who told you? I swear to the Gods if it was Rhae" She hissed, swatting his arm gently. Jace laughed at her hit and raised a brow. "Oh please, it's so obvious" he gestured between the two and Baela hit him again, a tad harder, ignoring how he continued to laugh. "Be quiet! Besides, it isn't like anything can happen now" Baela's tone changed from playful to sad as the realisation kicked in. She would marry Jacaerys, not Arthur. The three stopped outside a large set of doors and the conversation stopped. "Allow me to introduce you, my prince, my lady" Ser Arthur spoke shortly, opening the heavy doors.

"Prince Jacaerys Velaryon and his betrothed the Lady Baela Targaryen" the pair walked into the large room, where most of their family were already gathered. They made their way to the long table, where Lucerys and Rhaena were already sat. "Sister, how is Rhaenys" Rhaena asked, hugging her twin lightly. Jacaerys pulled out a chair for her, and Baela nodded in thanks as she sat. "She's definitely better, but she'll be resting for tonight" Baela explained, and everyone visibly relaxed.

The door opened once more and all bowed as King Viserys was carried in on his golden carrier. The withering king was placed in the middle of the long table, between Queen Alicent and Princess Rhaenyra. The man acted as either a barrier or a joining for the two families. Rhaenyra gave her children a stern look as they all took their places, a silent warning to be on their best behaviour. "This could be fun" Baela mumbled to Rhaena, who giggled. The giggling stopped immediately as she received a look from Daemon who shook his head. Maybe the dinner would be fine...

~~~

{AN: Updates will be a bit slower for a while sorry, yall know how it is 🥲Things should be progressing more quickly now though, especially for Rhae 👀}