Chapter 1: Face Full Of Sidewalk

Chapter 1

Dani's POV

"Would you stop?" I said as I walked with my best friend Piper down the hall. Piper was on the phone with her mother about going shopping later and obsessively begging to get out of cello lessons.

"Look, we can just hang out another day!" I assured her. Piper just rolled her hazel eyes at me.

I, Danielle Alexis Lawrence am 18, with big brown eyes and tan skin. Not overly skinny but was passable (It's from all the Wendy's I eat... but I don't eat too much, I swear!) and sometimes wore glasses. Piper was 5'7, tan, and had blue eyes with choppy shoulder length hair. I had Latin blood and she had Indian blood- the Aboriginal type.

I looked down at my shirt. It was a simple white shirt that had angel wings. I had light blue skinny jeans and black converse. My favourite colour was green, but surprisingly I never wore it because it didn't really match with my skin tone. I always looked sick when I wore it.

"Look, we can go there soon! Just be patient!" I said as we walked into English. I sat towards the back today. Usually I sat near the front because I loved learning, but I did not want to hear Piper complain anymore. I love her and all but she can be a real pain in the ass.

I sat beside a tall blond boy with piercing hazel eyes. He sent me a small smile. I felt like I had never seen him before but everyone acted like he had gone here for years. He even had full pages of homework! I looked at him and waved. He returned my wave and I took in his features. Tall, lanky but had muscle on him. A kind of straight nose and plump lips. A sprinkle of freckles on his nose and even a few moles on his neck. He had bleach blond hair that swooped to the side. He was good looking but too quiet for me.

The teacher came around and handed him a test. It had an A+ marked at the top. I furrowed my eyebrows. How did he get a perfect score on a test we took last week if I had never even seen him here? I got mine and it had an A on it. I felt a little pang of jealousy forming in my stomach. How was he getting better grades when he had never even gone here?

I loved school and all, but it seemed unfair that the new kid was doing better then me! I studied every night and worked hard. Most kids went out and partied while I stayed home or at Piper's and hung out with her. I frowned as I played with my monkey phone case.

Sure, I was sweet and all, but I liked to win. And if I didn't win, I tried harder until I won. I gave the blondie a hard glare before turning to pay attention as I clenched my fists and bit my lip. I worked hard to try and be the best and he just waltzed in and swooped my place! Oh, how I wished he would take up the blond stereotype...

I noticed that he was keen on learning also. He wrote down everything and listened attentively. Sometimes he would glance at me and I would blush and quickly look away. Gosh, he had a nice smile. And pretty eyes too...

Snap out of it! I scolded myself silently. He's the enemy! I decided to confront him after class and ask him who the hell he was. Stare into his gorgeous hazel eyes and tell him I want him to back off! I huffed and tried to focus again, but the stupid blond grade stealer kept fiddling with his pencil and smiling at me. Ugh, he's disgustingly nice.

After a long class about The Great Gatsby, the bell rang and I collected my books. My eyes took in the classroom with posters that had cheesy sayings and portrayed famous authors. I stood up and followed the blond kid out of class, ducking behind cuddling couples and friends laughing about what they wrote on whiteboards.

I finally stopped when I found him and caught up to him. "Hey! Sorry, but what's your name?" I asked with a twinge of annoyance as I fell in step beside him.

He looked over at me with a look of surprise. "Riker Lynch?"

I mentally partied. I had never heard of him! AH HA! I knew it! "That's the weirdest name I've ever heard!" I exclaimed with a huge grin.

His eyebrows furrowed and he said "What? I- um.. Thanks? I guess it's cool if you like Star Tre-"

I cut him off abruptly. "Sorry, but I've never seen or heard of you before. Why is everyone treating you like you've gone here for years?"

Riker looked confused. "Because I have... why are you acting like I haven't? I've taken English with you for two years and History since we started high school!" He became defensive, his fists clenching and his lip drawing back.

I looked at him and sighed in defeat. "I guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm sorry if I ignored you when you've wanted to be my friend... I must have seemed so rude."

I found myself walking outside with Riker to get lunch at the Wendy's across the street like all seniors do. Everyone knew us over there. Even though it was run down it was pretty cool and sort of a senior hang out.

But back to the real issue. I felt bad for not even knowing he existed. How could I be that self centered that I didn't even see him or know he existed? He seemed so sweet and smart. How could I have ignored him for this many years? Plus he's kind of cu-

Suddenly I was jolted out of my thoughts by Riker yelling, "MOVE!" and being shoved to the ground.
All I could see was black and then dirty grey... what? I rolled and realized I was on the sidewalk. Riker had pushed me! What a jer-

And then I looked up to see a transport barreling right at Riker.

"RIKER!" I screamed. "Watch out!"

I pressed my fingers over my eyes in preparation for his horrific death, timidly peeking through the gaps. But what I saw next blew my mind.

The truck passed right through him.

And he didn't even blink or flinch.

I stared, unregistering for a full five minutes as the vehicle kept moving like nothing had happened.

After an awkward, slow pause, my jaw dropped and a look of sheer horror passed through my face. "Wh-what just happened?" I breathed out, unable to comprehended.

He looked at me sheepishly, an embarrassed look on his face. "Danielle...we need to talk."
-------------------------------------
This was Chapter 1! I'm so glad you ATLEAST finished it because I worked hard on writing it. I will try and update at least update once a week, that will hopefully be the bare minimum! And if I had any spelling mistakes or grammar problems please tell me so I can fix it!

Twitter: @LovinRiker
Instagram: @LovinRiker

Till Next Time my Sparkly Unicorns!

-Mia + @radrydellington editing! <3