Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

         "My child, I'm like your mother so let me give you a piece of advice. People make mistakes. But don't let it overshadow your life. If you feel bad about it then start by making amends. Guilt is a coward's armour and you are no coward."

       Khushi rubbed her cheeks to wipe away any evidence of tears, "You're wrong. I'm indeed a coward and I know forgiveness is something I'll never get and to have my old life back is just a dream now."

       Nats slapped her back and Khushi looked at her shocked. "Don't talk that way. And can you really blame them? Blame Dhruv? It's not my place to say but when he first came to the US. He was so different and so sad. He struggled with alcohol."

Nats sighed and continued, "And he blacked out once, called me from a seedy bar two states away. I had to threaten him to either join AA or I'm calling CPS for Riyan. He went to rehab and when he came back I thought he'd go back to his old self. He never did. If you want forgiveness, you have to work for it."

       "How?"

       "Start by apologising. And be ready to face his ire. It won't be easy." Nats gave her a small smile. "But eventually, he'll forgive you.  He's much like his mother, you see?"

       "The old Dhruv was like his mother. But this Dhruv, I don't know who he is..."

        "He's still Dhruv. I'm sure he will forgive you because somewhere he does love you still."

       Khushi sniffed and snorted, "Now you're bluffing...he hates me. He told me so. He ruined my research funding because he detests me."

      "I never said it'll be easy. We can't just get through life with just dishing it out and never taking it. Honestly, it's your turn to be patient."

After a brief cup of tea, Nats had stood up with a groan, readying herself to leave.

      "I'd like to meet Shri again. If she's Dhruv's sister like you say..."

       "Ofcourse, I'll talk to her. Oh here comes my nephew..."

         Khushi turned to see Dhruv walking towards them. He smiled at Nats and said, "Are you ready to leave?"

       "Yes!" Nats said. And Khushi felt like the awkward outsider again. God, there had been a time when she was a part of their family and through her own fault, she was an outsider now. Finally, Dhruv did look at her and gave her a civil smile.

      She could only bring her to smile. "I'll see you around." She managed to say.

        "You too." He said casually and turned towards Nats heralding her towards the exit.

    They walked to the exit and Khushi walked with them.

       "Oh?! You both are here?!" It was Veer jiju.

       "Jiju? What are you doing here?!"

        "I came by to drop the money you asked for. And long time no see, Dhruv."

        "How are you, Veer? How are Janvi and the kids?" Dhruv said.

          "I think I know you. Aren't you the chef who's in that tv show?" Nats said.

       "Yes. It's Veer Rane. A pleasure." Veer shook Nats' hand, who honestly looked star struck.

      "And, Dhruv. We need to talk. Now." Veer grinned at Dhruv but Khushi felt shivers down her spine. Her brother-in-law could be menacing when he wanted to.  Dhruv stared at him and Khushi wanted to walked away from the intense situation. But eventually Dhruv gave a nod of acknowledgement..