Chapter Twenty Four

Mumbai 1987

"I don't think we're doing the right thing, Dhariya...."

"Can you relax? Nothing's going to happen. We'll marry and then we'll go back, they'll have to accept us."

"Do you think they noticed?"

"Considering how it's haldi in the evening, yeah they must've."

Nats felt lead in her stomach. It felt wrong but when Dhariya had come to her last night, confessing, proclaiming his love.

________________________________________

"It's too late." She had said, she had never expected him to have a spine and confess even though she had teased him the entire year. He had vehemently denied it all throughout the year.

Now he had cornered her on the terrace during her late night smoke break. She turned and fled from him but he wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her back to his chest.

"What do you think you're doing?! Let me go. Someone will see!" She whispered.

"Don't go. It's not too late. Run away with me. I love you."

She shoved him away. "You're getting married in two days!"

"I'm not married yet. If I marry your sister, it'll be over. I can't standing losing you forever!"

He took her hands in his. "Please... we'll go somewhere far... we'll start anew."

________________________________________

"We'll send a telegram at the next post office we see. Now, can you relax?"

"Fine...if you say so."

Like he had promised they did send a telegram in which she apologized to her family and told them she was fine. Dhariya sent one too.

"You seem so nervous considering how this isn't your first rodeo." Dhariya laughed as they left the telegram office.

She hit his arm playfully then wound her arm around his elbow,
"I was but 16 back then and he was not someone's groom."

"What happened with him? Why did you come back?"

"Hit me. Promised to marry me and then never did.He almost killed me once and I had had enough so I made a plan, saved some money, ran away when he went to work and came back home."

"That's awful. I promise to never treat you like that. You deserve better." He said holding her hand.

"I'm glad I came back, that meant I got to meet you so...wait...are you slowly becoming unstuffy?"

He threw his head back and laughed. "I am so happy."

"And I'm hungry."

"Fine. Let's have something to eat."

After having a meal, when they went to the car, there were police officers standing beside the vehicle, in their khaki uniforms standing there.

"Does this car belong to you sir?"

"Yes, it's my car. Any problem? Actually I'm a police officer too." She saw Dhariya taking out his wallet.

"Mr. Dhariya Kapadia?"

"Yes. You do know who I am."

"We're arresting you for theft. You have to come to the police station with us. You too Madam."