Chapter Twenty Two

Dhruv spent an extra two hours in the gym that evening. He knew he was overtired and sweating profusely. He needed the exertion so that he stopped thinking about her face when he confessed to sabotaging her for kicks.

     It was betrayal. Like she hadn't expected him to ever stoop so low. Though, he had. And the worse part was; he felt no remorse. It just felt uncomfortable in his chest. Maybe there were remanents of pity from his past self. And he allowed only that explanation to conquer.

      He got down from the machine and leant his hands on his knees, breathing hard, droplets dropped from his chin and hair. The door to the gym opened and he looked up to see Mohan.

      "She's here." He said with a serious expression on his face.

   Dhruv stood upright, for a minute he was confused. Why would Khushi come here? He thought.

     "Your wife is here." Mohan clarified.

     Dhruv felt his shoulders stiffen. Shame rose in him that his thoughts ran to her first. He nodded at Mohan who left a moment after.

    ***

      He threw on a sweatshirt and rushed down. Before he reached her, he saw her bouncing Riyan on her lap and kissing cheeks. Riyan was happy and his baby giggles filled his room.

     "What are you doing here?" He kept his voice cool so as to not startle Riyan.

       "I came to visit my son ofcourse." She said looking at Riyan.

      "You promised to stay away from us." He mimicked a baby voice and gentle pried Riyan away from her.

     "Mohan it's time for Riyan to sleep, hand him over to the nanny please." He said.

     They both waved bye at Riyan who laid his chin on Mohan's shoulder. Riyan waved bye too.

     After they left the room, Dhruv turned towards Neeta, "Get out."

       "You always have to start a fight, Dhruv..." She rolled her eyes at him.

         "Get out and stay away from us."

       She sat down on the couch and rummaged through her bag. "You can't kick me out of my son's life, he's my biological son."

   Taking out a compact mirror, she began patting powder on her face.

     "Fuck biology. Don't make me take drastic steps again. You're getting your 2 hours on weekends. Don't push it."

    She snapped the compact shut and stood up abruptly. "You're a monster! Only a demon would separate a mother and a child so!" She screeched.

     Dhruv almost flinched but he crossed his arms around his chest and stayed on his stance. "Get out, Neeta. Right now."

      "I am leaving! No need to get your panties in a twist!" She spat and walked away from him.

   Only then he unclenched his muscles.

***

     Khushi was late for her work when she rushed through the corridor as she almost collided with a person on a wheelchair.

       "I'm so sorry...." She said instinctively. "Oh..."

       "Khushi beta....how are you?"

     Khushi didn't know what to call her ex-father in law. Would uncle cut it? She didn't know. She was still uncomfortable facing him. But now, Dhariya Kapadia didn't look like the strong, masculine force like he used to. The person before her was an old man with grey hair and grey unkempt beart.