Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

     "I did disapprove of them initially. I asked him why he did it. He told me the truth. The man deserved to get killed. And trust me, dying by a bullet was an easy death for him."

      "Ironic that your heart should fail the moment you decided to grow one." She said and her only love laughed again. She smiled too.

     ***

       Dhruv sat awkwardly in front of Shri. Nats had called her and arranged for them to meet.

       "I'm sorry for the way I behaved last time." When she said nothing he continued, "I thought you were coming on to me. I only came to know yesterday that you're my half sister."

       She scoffed, "Why would I come onto you? You're not even that handsome..."

       Dhruv pressed his lips together to not smile. It was such a sisterly thing to say.

       After some coffee and a brief chat of how they were doing in life, Dhruv parted with Shri, promising her that he would talk to Dishu and let them meet too.

***

      "Hey, I heard you asked for me." Khushi was pleasantly surprised when she got a call from the reception saying a relative of hers was waiting for her.  "Oh Nats!"

      Nats turned around with a huge smile on her face and opened her arms for a hug. She hugged Nats and Nats wrapped her around her in return, laughing.

     "Oh! I've missed you!" Nats told her after she let go of her.

    Khushi had a bitter taste in her mouth after hearing that. "You did? After everything?"

       "Ofcourse I did. You're family!"

     "I've missed you too. Nats, I'm sorry. I know I've disappointed a lot of people, including you."

       "I'm not the one you should be apologizing to, my dear. And what do you kids say now a days? I'm a girls girl."

     Khushi laughed at that.

    "So tell me why are you so thin?" Nats asked as she settled in the chair in the canteen.

       Khushi panicked. No one knew about her cancer and she wanted it to remain that way. "I'm too busy to eat..."

        "That won't do at all. I have made these protein laddus, I will drop them at your place for you, you can just pop one laddu in between, it won't even take a minute...."

         Khushi looked at the table trying to keep her tears at bay, her eyes were burning. She didn't even remember how long it had been since she was nagged like this. Maybe not since she was a preteen when her mother met with an accident.

         "Whatsup me your address and I'll drop it tomorrow itself....Are you living with a room mate or alone?"

       "I live alone..."

   She lived alone because she was all alone. And she was alone because of her own selfishness and mistakes. That was all it took for Khushi to burst out crying.

      In a moment she found herself being embraced by Nats who was warm and soft all over.

   "Oh dear.... it's okay honey."

    When she calmed down she furiously wiped away her tears, "I'm okay, Nats."

      "Oh honey...now tell me what's wrong?" Nats skid the chair near her and held her hands in a maternly way.

       "I know that I'm at fault. I know that. But I have only hindsight now and looking back, I can see how wrong I was and how I've hurt people. I also know that I probably deserve this, this loneliness and rejection from everyone. That doesn't make it easier to cope with it...."