Determination

Carl didn't back off from the promise he made to Alessia and himself, he tried to help her everyday and Alessia complied without necessarily giving him a hard time.

She actually waited to see him give up on her because even though she told him almost everything about her she was still the cold heart broken girl she was and Carl didn't see her as a challenge but tried to make her see that he was there for her.

Almost everyday he made sure she was at his home away from all the toxicity in her own house and Akua was quite happy to have her around.

As time went on Alessia slowly got back her appetite( because of Akua persistence of course) and her grades began to once again improve and for the first time in a long time she actually felt okay. That everything was going to be alright.

And she looked forward to it.

She did continue seeing Ryan and Angel around but she was mostly being tutored by Mr Brooks(Carl) to even care.

From being with Carl and his wife she found out they were living in New York before moving here because of Mr Brooks transfer and Akua followed him here to be there for him leaving her good paying job for him even though he had insisted she stayed.

Mrs Brooks is a baker and she never missed the opportunity for Alessia to sample her recipes and boy were they good. It got to a point the teenager didn't want to seem useless so she helped Akua around and soon got to know how to bake.

Her parents ignored her as usual but now she had people who were always there for her, and we're patient enough that her resolve soon broke and she embraced the fact that these people won't leave her.

One day someone knocked on their door and when Akua opened it, it was none other than Ingrid, Alessia's grandmother.

Akua, upon seeing the resemblance between the older woman and Alessia, the dots connected and she warmly invited her in.

Ingrid entered and examined the home in appreciation and she gave a nod of acknowledgement to Akua who for some reason felt quite grateful and full of pride by the older woman's admiration.

"Please take a seat while I get you something." Akua offered before walking towards what Ingrid assumed was the kitchen.

After some minutes there was a plate of cookies with a glass of juice and Ingrid marveled at how delicious it was.

"Thank you for your hospitality dear." Ingrid said gratefully.

Akua responded and smiled warmly at the Ingrid.

"My husband and Alessia will soon be home, before they do can I get you anything else?" Akua asked politely.

"It's okay dear. You've done quite enough."

Not long after Ingrid said that Carl and Alessia soon arrived and Alessia seeing Ingrid immediately went to embrace her.

"Grandma, oh my. When did you get here?" Alessia asked still embrassing her.

"I arrived not long ago my dear. How are you?" Ingrid asked worriedly.

Alessia soon sat beside her grandmother and replied genuinely.

"I'm okay grandma. Really."

Before Alessia could process anything Ingrid smacked her gently on her head.

"Ow you old woman. What was that for?" Alessia whined.

"That's," Ingrid began murderously, " For not visiting this old woman in months. Do you know how worried I was Alessia?"

Alessia pouted a bit. The couple were surprised to see Alessia playfully bicker with her grandmother. They didn't know she had this side in her.

"Sorry you old woman. You're right I shouldn't have suddenly cut of contact with you. I was in a rough state but still..." She said slowly lowering her head in guilt.