Chapter 17: Covered in Blood

Estella's POV

"I killed her," I whisper as Nick runs over. I can't meet his eyes as he looks at my arm. I can see his lips moving but all I can hear is the sound of Abi's blood covering every inch of the room, "She....," I whisper as Nick tries to get me to concentrate.

The door swings open from behind Emma making the two of them jump, "Holy..." Dylan says looking at everyone.

"Did it work?" Nick asks keeping his hand on my shoulder.

"The hunters...they intercepted the call...they know we are here," Ryan says making them panic. We shouldn't panic. They are helping....at least I think they are. None of this makes sense, "They are on their way here as we speak," Ryan adds.

"Isn't that great," Kaitlyn says as she tries to wipe the blood off of her.

"What the hell happened?" Kaci says jogging over to talk to me, "Where's Abi?" She asks looking around. Nick gives her a look and Kaitlyn explains what just happened. Emma is sitting with her head in her hands while Nick tries to comfort me.

"We have to get out of here," Ryan says as I stand up. Nick tries to help me but I push him away walking over to the group. The look on Emma's face makes my heart sink further than it already is. I want to talk to her but Dylan cuts me off.

"Is she dead?" He asks making everyone look at him.

"She's not dead. We have to go out and look for her," I exclaim as Emma scoffs and looks at me like I'm crazy.

"You shot her. YOU shot Abi," She says raising her voice making me flinch, "I can't. I can't do this," She says running her hands through her hair and pacing the room. She looks at the blood all over her and starts walking to the door.

"Where are you going?" Jacob asks blocking her path so she can't get out. She glares at him and tries to push him out of the way.

"I'm going back to the lodge to wait until morning. I'm done with all of this shit," She says flailing her arms around, "I just watched her shoot my best friend and I'm not about to sit around for whatever the hell those things are to find me either," she states, her voice wavering as she brings up Abi.

"She's right," Kaitlyn says shocking all of us with how she wants to give up.

"We have to find Abi or at least the hunters to figure out what the hell is going on," I tell them as Nick stands beside me.

"Stella, how can we trust the hunters after everything that's happened tonight?" Kaci asks making me widen my eyes as she looks at me like I'm losing it.

"Just trust me. I know they aren't who they seem," I tell them going for the door, "I'm going to find Abi. I don't care who wants to come with but I'm going," I announce.

Dylan tells Emma and I to stop as we push past Jacob together, "We have to make a plan," he says.

"I'm going back to the lodge, who is coming with me?" Emma asks looking around the room. Kaitlyn, Ryan, and Dylan step to her side of the room as Jacob, Kaci, and Nick look at me, "That was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be," he smirks.

"Just be careful. We don't know what's out there," Ryan says looking at the four of us. Jacob holds the gun tightly to his body as we all step outside of the pool house. It seems colder out and the moon is ominous above us. Nick's hand finds the small of my back as we watch the other group start on the other path. Kaci is leaning into Jacob's side as a breeze runs through the circle we've created.

"This camp used to be so fun...now I'm terrified," Jacob says rubbing her arm, "What direction did Abi run?" he asks as I look at Nick hoping he knows. He turns around and points to the way we came from the dock. Nick leads the way knowing that we don't have much time. I'm hoping the hunters know what's happening. There has to be a way to save her. I won't leave here until we do. I shot her...this is my fault. Nick nudges my side after a couple of minutes of silence making me turn my head to look at him.

"It's not your fault," He whispers so the others don't hear, "She was turning. You could see it in your eyes. You would have died if you didn't use the gun," he assures me. I don't know how much I believe it but there's no point in me arguing.

"I know but I feel terrible for doing it. She just got so aggressive and then she threw me. She fucking threw me across the room," I whisper yell trying to comprehend how she did it.

"Abi would have wanted you to defend yourself. She loves you, you know before the infection got to her head. I mean we all do," he says making me look at him.

"Thanks, Nick," I whisper as I give him a small smile. I know he's happy to see it as he puts his arm on my shoulder as we continue walking. A loud rustling behind us makes Kaci and Jacob run to catch up to us. We turn to them to ask what's happening as one of those creatures springs out of the trees. Nick grabs my arm and the four of us run away from it. I don't even notice we are going in different directions until it's too late. Nick and I jump behind a fallen tree and hide. His hand is pressed over my mouth as my back is pressed into his chest. All I can hear is the sound of our breathing and my heart beating in my chest. I can feel his chest rising and falling quickly against me.

His hand slowly lowers from my mouth when we realize it must have followed Kaci and Jacob, "What do we do?" I ask panicking. He goes to answer but there is a gunshot in the direction of the pool house. He stands up and holds his hand up to help me. Could that have been Abi?

"It's probably Jacob with the gun," he says as he starts walking towards it. There's an echo of a bird in the trees as we look back at the path we ran from the wolf.

"It's either them or the hunters. Either way, we have to follow it, right?" I ask feeling doubtful. He keeps his hold on my hand and leads me back to the pool house. I don't know how but it's somehow calming me. I'm happy I'm stuck with him in this situation. I just hope that this night won't get worse. I feel like we have already hit rock bottom.