Chapter 12: Paranormal Podcasts

Kaci's POV

"There you guys are," Kaitlyn says as Jacob, Ryan, and I enter the room. My eyes are immediately drawn to Abi, who looks extremely pale with blood and dirt staining her clothes.

"Holy shit, Abi. You look terrible," Jacob says, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Nice to see you, too," Abi replies.

"Ryan told us you were attacked by something," I say.

"Yeah. We think it might have been a bear," Kaitlyn says.

"If it was whatever we saw, it was most definitely not a bear."

"You guys got attacked, too?" Abi asks.

"Not attacked. But the fucker was chasing us down," Jacob says.

Nick nods toward my hand, "What happened there?"

"We went back to the firepit where everyone was supposed to meet up, but no one was there. Then we noticed the blood, so we decided to see if you all went to get medical supplies at the nurses station, but you weren't there either, so we figured you had to be at the lodge. We were only a short distance away when the monster jumped out of nowhere and chased us all throughout the General Store. We ended up locking ourselves in the back room to get away from it, so then we broke through the glass ceiling to get out. The bookshelf crumbled underneath my weight, so I had to jump, and a piece of glass lodged into my skin. That's basically everything," I explain.

"That's one hell of a story," Kaitlyn says with her eyes widened.

"Are you guys okay?" Nick asks, looking concerned.

Abi scoffs, "Please. Barely anything happened to them. So what? Poor little Kaci got a scratch on her hand. I was full on attacked, and you don't hear me complaining. She's fine."

"I mean, you haven't not complained," Ryan says under his breath, which makes Abi shoot daggers in his direction.

"No, she's right," I say, "I'm fine. We both are. Jacob cleaned my hand, and now we're here with you guys, so it's all good."

There's a brief awkward silence so I say, "Jacob and I brought medical supplies. I can look at her injuries."

Kaitlyn motions for the bag and Jacob hands it to her, "I'll do it. I don't want you to mess up your hand."

"How bad is it?" I ask.

"It's hard to tell. It looks like the bleeding stopped, which is a good sign," Kaitlyn replies as she pulls out wipes.

"I'm just glad Stella and Dylan found you guys. Where are they?" Kaitlyn asks.

"Stella and Dylan?" I repeat with furrowed eyebrows.

Kaitlyn looks up, "Yeah?"

I glance at Jacob and he shrugs, "We haven't seen them."

Nick straightens up, "What do you mean? Why do you guys have the medical supplies then?"

"We saw the blood and knew something was up. When we went to the nurses station and no one was there, I decided to bring all the supplies just in case. I knew everything at the lodge was wiped out," I tell them.

"That's not good," Ryan breathes out.

"What? What's not good?" Jacob asks, getting impatient at being left in the dark.

"Estella and Dylan went out to get medical supplies and to look for you guys," Nick finally says.

"When?" I ask.

"I don't know. Maybe 30 minutes ago," Kaitlyn shrugs.

"Well they won't find either," Jacob says.

"So what you're telling me is that Stella and Dylan are literally out where Jacob and I just got chased?" I say, immediately feeling my stomach churn.