Chapter 30 - Too Late

The funeral had been a blur. There were many kings and princes. Some had something to say, some did not and were probably looking more at you and what the next steps of this kingdom would be.

You had spoken little, you had said everything you wanted to tell her that day before anyway.

You hadn't shed a tear either.

Taehyung, Yoongi, Jungkook, Jimin, SeokJin, Namjoon and even Hoseok. All of them stared at you with worried eyes the entire time. As if not crying was worse than crying.

It might hold some truth that you tried to feel nothing. It felt so final as they lowered her coffin into the cold ground.

It was cruel that the day of her birthday ball became the one she was buried on.

Soon after you all went back to the castle considering it was absolutely freezing.

The guests, mainly royalty and nobility, dove straight into their networking mode. Discussing business and threats.

You stood at the entrance, Taehyung close to you. You were soon joined by Yoongi who didn't say anything at all but embraced you. You swallowed to hold back any tears that started to form in your eyes. Hoseok also hesitantly joined your group. He looked at you with worry in his eyes.

In the distance, the knights had also gathered, Jungkook glancing at you with concern and sadness.

At the end of the funeral your body felt heavy and your mind exhausted. A hint of relief and sadness filled you when you saw how the guests started to leave one by one.

They left the funeral not your kingdom though, the day after tomorrow was your coronation. They would stay for that.

The thought of having the castle remotely for yourself again was something to at least look forward to. It wasn't as if you weren't happy that Yoongi and the others were here but you had to always be the next queen. Not just y/n.

You finally left as well together with Taehujng and you were followed closely by Jungkook. There was a moment when your hand brushed against that of Taehyung. A very short touch and yet, it sent a rush through you, a comfort.

At that moment, without much thinking, you took Taehyung's hand in yours. His big hand wrapped around yours and as you glanced sideways you could not unsee his little smile. In your case, it felt like you gained strength as you walked further away from your mother's final goodbye.

As you walked towards your room there was a moment of hesitation in Taehyung's movements. Like he wanted to let go of your hand, unsure if this was the point where you'd leave each other. He was reluctant as well, for the same reason he had spent the nights in your room, your safety was still occupying his mind a lot.

As his hand untightened, you tightened it further

'Would you.. want to come in again?' you asked him.

'Yes' Taehyung answered without hesitation.

So you went into your room, there was no tension. but considering the circumstances that is not so much of a surprise.

You were drained.

Taehyung turned you around when you were finally alone.

'How are you y/n?' he carefully asked

'I am alright' you lied

He shook his head 'It's only us y/n, you can show yourself to me'

You knew that, you felt that in your entire body.