𝟎𝟎𝟏. golden flames

DOOMSDAY

____________

THE FLAMES WITHIN the pit of the campfire continue to ignite as Hestia tends to the wooden logs. The smell of ash and smoke fills the atmosphere. The rest of the campers indulge in their own conversations and laughter, while the children of Apollo's voices echo through the air as they serenade everyone.

The sun has already set, disappearing behind the horizon of the mountains. The moon and stars have risen to illuminate the night sky, shining across the camp and over the demigods.

Valeria stands near the fire with Camryn Harlow, daughter of Apollo (who has decided not to join her siblings tonight), holding a chalice filled with strawberry soda. Her arms and most of her legs are uncovered, while her torso and upper thighs are clothed in the orange Camp Half-Blood shirt and jean shorts. She takes slow sips of the beverage as she and her friend discuss their activities for tomorrow.

"So, it's either archery practice," Camryn starts, feigning contemplation. "Or hang out at the beach. Which one?"

"Hm," Valeria hums, clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth. "The beach sounds tempting, but honestly I think we should go with archery. You haven't come to practice for almost two weeks."

Camryn waves a dismissive hand, puffing out her cheeks and a breath of air. "Doesn't matter. If anything, I'll be embarrassing everybody else by showing up."

An arm is suddenly draped over Valeria's shoulders, wrapping around her collarbone and pulling her into their chest as she cranes her neck slightly to look up at them. Luke grins down at her before averting his gaze to Camryn, who rolls her eyes at his presence.

"Don't get too confident, Cam. You never know when you'll slip up," he says in a playful voice. Luke nods his chin at the drink in Valeria's grasp. "What's that?"

The brunette raises the chalice to his lips, allowing him to take the cup from her. "Strawberry soda," Valeria replies.

"I'm a perfect shot," Camryn retorts.

Valeria laughs at her offended expression, while Luke briefly lifts his hand from Valeria's shoulder to hold it up in surrender. "I'm just teasing you."

"Yeah, right." Camryn shakes her head with a lighthearted scoff, glancing between the pair in front of her. Then she purses her lips, using her index finger to gesture at them. "So, when is this gonna become an actual thing?"

Valeria makes a face at the inquiry, while Luke chuckles and takes another sip from the golden chalice. "What do you mean?"

"Gods, please." Camryn stifles a groan, throwing her head back and toward the sky above. "I can't do this tonight," she sighs heavily and points to an indefinite direction. "I'll be over there. You two... have fun? I don't know."

She walks towards a group on the other side of the large campfire, leaving Valeria and Luke to themselves. The brunette hesitates, staring after Camryn with a puzzled expression. Then she turns to face Luke, and he removes his arm from her shoulders without taking his eyes off her face. "Hey."

"Hey," Valeria greets. "Where were you? I was looking for you earlier."

"I was just talking to Chris," Luke tells her, glancing in the direction of the boy. She follows his gaze to find Chris chuckling with some of the other Cabin Eleven members. "He's a little out of it right now."