(3) - The Fruit

Adrian practically stopped dead in his tracks, turning his head towards where he heard the elderly woman's voice. 

"You can?!" he excitedly exclaimed.

Did they truly have the answer he was searching for this whole time!?

"Of course, son! Why else would we offer help if we could not grant it?" the old man cheerfully added.

The magician in the purple cloak was overjoyed. In an instant, he forgot all about being blinded by the lightning, he forgot about getting lost in the forest, and he forgot all about the others who tried to help whom he owed so much to.

...well, he almost forgot that last one.

The gardener's heart sank almost as fast as it took off, reality reminding him that fate was not on his side of the story. He had been promised a solution so many other times, what would make this time different? The elder man helping him walk took notice of the change in his demeanor, seeing how fast the smile erased itself from Adrian's face.

"My child, why do you frown? We have the cure to your ailment!" the old man reminded him.

Adrian sheepishly shook his head, running a hand through his amethyst hair as he averted his blind eyes to the floor.

"I just... It's too good to be true," Adrian bluntly stated before recollecting his manners. "Thank you both for thinking you can help, but I have tried every possible method offered to me and my wife, and nothing has come close to succeeding."

He felt bad shooting down their offer to help, but he just didn't think he could bear to get his hopes up anymore. After traveling to many distant worlds and retrieving their fancy medicines and cures, both Adrian and Jewel had been so hopeful, so CERTAIN that one would work. However, after not seeing any progress, they both seemed to have silently agreed that they just simply would never have a child of their own.

Adrian remembered how long he and Jewel had planned to have a child in the first place, long before they knew of their horrible childless fate. They had such a nice list of pretty names picked out, too... Oh, how they both cried and cried when they discovered that the child they wanted wasn't coming.

"And what makes it impossible? Have you been cooped up in your precious family garden of weeds for so long that you have forgotten what true magic can be like?" The older woman harrumphed as she walked ahead of Adrian. "Miracles can come in more shapes than just your bland leaves and fruits, boy."

Now Adrian felt personally attacked by her remarks, and this time her husband didn't scold her to be nicer either. He knew that having magic only for growing flora wasn't much, but it was still his! Adrian and his family before him always prided themselves on having the best plants, fruits, herbs, and vegetables around. It wasn't his garden's fault that his magic couldn't produce a cure for his problem.

In his rage he forgot to even question how this woman even knew about his garden in the first place, considering he had no idea who this was.

"My leaves and fruits work just fine, it's just the worlds that decided to hate me so," Adrian retorted. "Grambi left my household long ago, and he has yet to show his face to me since!"

The elderly couple were now both staring at him. Even though he couldn't see it, he could sense their hardened gazes and he realized that he didn't exactly phrase that statement very kindly. Adrian paused, taking a deep breath as he attempted to crack a reassuring smile.

"L-look, I apologize, but I just don't have in me to try some... some... s-some random potion that's supposed to somehow be the cure that no one else has," Adrian replied with a huff, though keeping his tone in check.