4

CHAPTER FOUR"courting"

CHAPTER FOUR
"courting"

-𝙀𝙉𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙉𝙏𝙀𝘿 𝙁𝙊𝙍𝙀𝙎𝙏-
𝙊𝙉𝙀 𝙔𝙀𝘼𝙍 𝘼𝙂𝙊

𝑬𝑳𝑳𝑨 𝑾𝑶𝑲𝑬 𝑼𝑷 𝑬𝑨𝑹𝑳𝑰𝑬𝑹 than most of the maids inside of the castle. Clarissa was waiting for her in the kitchen so she could send her off with something to eat. The older woman made Ella her favorite foods from when she was a child, a luxury she no longer could have.

"Eat up, my dear," Clarissa sets a plate of mutton, carrots, and potatoes in front of Ella. She kissed her on her head— just like she would when Ella was child— and went back to cooking.

As Ella ate the meal, footsteps approached the kitchen. Ella looked up to see Robin Hood approaching with his half-asleep young son, Roland.

"It's good to see a familiar face," Ella commented.

Robin's eyes lit up and he, very quietly, acknowledged Ella. The two adults hug each other. Robin sits down next to Ella.

"It's been a long time, hasn't it?" Robin asks.

It truly had been. Robin was one of the first friends Ella made since her family moved into the Enchanted Forest. They've grown close over the years, and Ella was the one to help Maid Marian deliver their son.

But ever since Ella's father married her stepmother, they've lost contact. And both parties regretted it deeply.

"Does the handsome man want anything?" Clarissa asked, referring to Roland.

She had freshly baked sugar bread and milk for the boy already prepared. Ella didn't see her prepare it, maybe she was too distracted talking to Robin, or maybe...

No. It wouldn't be possible.

"Anything you could give please," Robin replied, "But not too much. We want some saved for later."

Clarissa took Roland into her arms and sat him down at his own table to eat. She then disappeared into the halls, excusing herself before doing so.

Ella continued to eat her food.

"How have you been?" Robin asks.

"Getting there. I've had sleepless nights, restless days. But I know it'll get better," Ella replied.

Robin knew her well enough to see past most of her lies. There were times where he'd see the Tremaine family in the village wondering around the shops. Ella was treated poorly every time he saw them with her.

He tried to get her to join his crew. He would've offered her his protection, and his knowledge about survival, yet Ella declined every time.

She'd state: "If I leave my home, it's like I'm abandoning my parents. And I can't leave their memories to die."