03

The next day, just as daylight broke, Gilly left with a small rucksack containing her few belongings. She turned back for one last look at what had been her home for so many years and made her way towards the docks. At the docks, she caught sight of the two boys asleep in a small deck boat. Walking up to the boat, she kicked it, startling the two boys awake. Luffy lifted his hat, looking to see who the assailant was. "Gilly," he greeted happily. "Wanna steal a map to the Grand Line or what?" she smirked.

Luffy and Gilly crawled through the sewer pipe near the dock. "This is disgusting," Gilly said. "The pipes were your idea," Luffy laughed. "Yeah, but that was before I knew I'd be helping," she answered. The two halted when they arrived at a grate. "I think this is it," Gilly stated as Luffy went to push it open. After a bit of struggle, he pushed the sewer grate open, and the two peeked out. Luffy hopped out first and then lent a hand to Gilly, helping her up. They looked around, realizing they were in the marine base clearing. "Huh, it wasn't it," Gilly hummed, dusting off her hands and resting them on her hips.

"Oh hey, you're the guy from the bar," Luffy said. Gilly turned to face Luffy, seeing it was indeed the green-haired swordsman from the bar, tied up to a wood post in the center of the clearing.

"Get lost," he muttered, rolling his eyes.

"I am lost," Luffy replied.

"I mean, we could be more lost," Gilly mused.

"That's true, we're trying to get inside the base," Luffy said, turning to the green-haired man.

"Hey, I saw the way you fight. How did they even arrest you?" Luffy continued.

"They didn't. I gave myself up," Gilly furrowed her brows, wondering what reason he could've had to do such a thing.

"Interesting choice. I'm sure you had your reasons."

"You don't know anything about me," he glared.

"I know you protected that little girl from those marines last night."

"And me," Gilly added. Luffy nodded, smiling.

"You're a good guy," Luffy finished, grinning. "I'm Roronoa Zoro, the pirate hunter," he bit back. "Well, I'm Monkey D. Luffy, and I will be the king of the pirates, and I think you should join my crew," Luffy shared with determination.

Zoro laughed, which was the first time he had shown emotion, Gilly thought.

"What makes you think I wanna play pirates with you?"

"You're a great fighter. I'd say that together, we'd make a pretty good team," Luffy said, looking between Zoro and Gilly. Zoro turned to the girl as if he was just now noticing her. "Who are you?" he asked.

"Me?" she pointed to herself. "Oh, I worked at the bar. I'm Gilly...just Gilly." He shook his head, turning back to Luffy. "I kill your kind for a living. Pirate...Hunter."

"You keep saying that," Luffy nodded. "But is that all you are?" he asked. Zoro turned away, Luffy's words clearly getting to him. Luffy seemed to have that effect on people, Gilly noted. He knew how to really reach people. "Is that all you want?" Zoro sighed. "I made a promise to someone a long time ago to become the world's greatest swordsman."

"Impressive," Luffy stated. Luffy turned to Gilly and nodded towards Zoro. Gilly got the message. Luffy went to untie the ropes around Zoro's waist, while Gilly untied the ones tying down his right arm.

"You can untie me, but I'm still not gonna join your crew."

"Okay."

"I mean it. I don't owe either of you anything."