2...

EMILY

Malyia had withdrawn the curtains and started dusting everything, looking back to me when she heard a tiny creak of the bed.

"Miss," she bowed.

I rub my head, getting rid of the voice that kept calling my name. it kept present almost all night. Somehow, it felt close. Way too close, for my liking.

I peep out my window—my eyes landing on Mount Augustus. Slowly trailing down my eyes landed on the spot Malyia and I were playing prior. "Malyia."

"Yes Miss," Malyia sat up, opening the cloth cabinet with ease. She got out a purple dress that complimented my tanned skin in summer heat, lifting my arms i cooperate to get myself ready for breakfast.

As I enter the dining hall...

Yet again I sit with father with an arbitrary need to leave. Numerous lonesome moments like these make me want to know what a real family looks like.

"Emily." Father said.

My utensils drop and my heart races.

"Yes, Father?" I tilt forward a little bit. Wanting to hear every word.

"I have been told you come back smelling like a pig, your drawls and silk clothes are damaged with muck," he said lightly. He carved into the meal in front of him like he was talking about nothing.

for a lady though, it's everything.

I cleared my throat in surprise, nervously, i start to talk, as it is a full conversation in a while, "Yes Father, i will pay more attention to-"

"-that's why i am sending you off to camp. Mrs. Marshall is a swell teacher—for the likes of you."

"F-Father, you and me both know too well that we don't mingle-"

"-You will listen and that's the end of discu-"

"-Father, you can't!" I pleaded. Malyia, I swear, hears me in despair and defeat.

"DO NOT SPEAK OVER YOUR SUPERIORS!" He banged his hands on the table, the fork and knife flying in different directions. His broad shoulders went up and down with his seething rage.

"You will go. That is final."

I ran out of the dining hall forgetting the etiquette of a proper walk or how my dress wasn't supposed to go above my ankles—I ran with my hands holding my skirt up so I could go faster, exiting the Mansion's front doors.

"He's sending you where?" Malyia's face drew a huge blank. How could her own Master hand his daughter to that-winch? Her camp is far too cruel, often used as a means to make children obey. Hadn't miss only messed up once?

Malyia gazed over me with an overly-worried face. I myself am nervous to death. Her standards are impossible. I ended up back in the spot in Mount Augustus looking at the little buds that were sprouting.

Emily...

I ignore the voice. It's soft and sweet like honeydew. At this time, I don't care about it.

Emily...

"Are your ears not well?" I ask Malyia. She shakes her head and says no. So only I can hear this strange and honeyed voice? I practically shoot up, I've decided. Let's see what this voice wants. A little adventure per se. One that could get this camp idea out of my noggin'.

In the depths of the forest strange noises whispered to me.

"Misses," Malyia ducked under a wayward branch and straightened her back once more, "I don't believe we should be in this deep, it ain't safe" she stopped by a tree and leaned against it.

I looked back at my maid and pondered if I should let her go. the voice had yet to stop—it grew louder and louder with each pass of an oak tree and a small, slim river bed.

"Malyia you go back" I ushered her, my small pale finger lifted and pointed to which direction we came.

Malyia leaned against the oak tree. she somehow managed to lift herself up, "No, misses, i will get punished for disobeyin' " she shook her head and kept up with me. Her poor used shoes tattered even more against the sharp and bumpy forest floor.

The greenery and shrubs surrounded the nearby areas. different animals calling out to their young, animals hunting and making noises—where drowned out by the soothing, lyrical, entrancing voice that echoed in my head. making the most noise, in my opinion.

But nothing could stop the voice from calling out to me. Not today, not yesterday, but right now...it grew with each passing step. Each passing moment,

Here,

And now.