𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔰𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 - 𝔷𝔬𝔬 ཐིཋྀ⋆

Depuis le début

"That's not funny. I don't like feeling excluded, if you'll do so, I can also take the next flight back to California."

"You'll leave me only over my dead body, sweetheart. But I try to manage to tell you every new information possible and updates of the guards in your mother's and best friend's house."

I nodded slowly, waving him off. "Fair enough."

"Do you want me to stay?"
"No, I prefer sleeping alone. Don't take it personally."

He laughed, letting go of my hand, which I forgot was intertwined with his for the last few minutes since it felt so right.

"For me, it sounds like, I hate you, don't take it personally." I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "I hope your pillow is on both sides warm tonight, Matteo."

"Whatever makes you happy. Have a good night, Lara. Try not to dream of me."
"Good night, Díaz. Don't worry, I'll just get sliced up one more time."

‎𐦍༘⋆.𖥔 ݁ ˖₊ ⊹⟡    𐦍༘⋆.𖥔 ݁ ˖₊ ⊹⟡    𐦍༘⋆.𖥔 ݁ ˖₊ ⊹⟡

Today, Matteo had the idea to take me somewhere special. Luckily without Leon, by virtue of my headache not settling since the morning and he knows how intermediating he can be.

"You're taking me to a zoo?" I interrogated, standing in front of the colorful entrance of Palermo's Zoo. "Yes, you don't like zoos?" A hint of concern lingered in his question.

We passed a dolphinarium, seeing the happy water animals, bumping against the glass. "I love animals, but I don't think a zoo is where they belong to."

I kneeled before the dolphins with a bright grin on my face. "You want me to buy one for you?"

"Buying. A. Dolphin?" I slowly questioned, not knowing if that was satire or serious.

"I own a rescue center for sea animals in Puerto Rico. I bought it approximately two years ago for my sister's birthday because she's currently in university to become a marine veterinarian."

Somehow my chest filled with pride, knowing how much Matteo does for his loved ones. What did I deserve to not have a brother who buys me a rescue center instead of a drug addict who part-time abused me?

"That's so cute...She can be lucky to have such a caring and loving brother." His hand rested on my back, caressing it. "Thank you. But what do you mean, do you want me to buy these dolphins and send them to Puerto Rico? It's too late to set them free in the ocean and they'd probably die at a high chance, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, they wouldn't be used for tourism, but to make it possible to let them return to the ocean."

I hummed, tapping with my fingertip on my thigh. "That will cost you hundreds of thousands but let's change the topic. What do you think of dolphins?"

"Dolphins are rapists."
"Where did you get that information from?"

He took a deep breath. "Leon."
"So unexpected!" I mocked, getting up, and continued my walk with him.

"But that's true because he got it from my sister."
"Okay, that sounds more trustworthy."

The birds sang some songs in their cages, as the summer sun melted me.

We walked to an ice cream truck, continuing our little talk. "You know, I'm feeling generous. How do you feel about me buying an ice cream for you?"
"I'll pay, Cariña. It's my duty."
"No, it's fine, really. You pay a whole ass villa for us and everything else, including me. Are you expecting me to sit back and just take everything without giving anything back?"

I pulled my wallet out, waiting for the little girl in front of us to finish. "Which flavor is your favorite?"

"I like coffee and blackberry the most, what about you?"
"You're the first person in years who didn't answer with mint chocolate chip. I like cherry and vanilla, but despise people who like strawberry."

He simpered, pulling me closer. "Not liking strawberry ice cream is pretty controversial you know."
"Yeah yeah, whatever."

"Let me pay. You can do so another time."
"Today is the time to do so. Just stop worrying so much."

I ordered our ice cream and we sat on a bench next to a pond. "Thank you, Lara. Really, it wasn't necessary."

I popped the cherry in my mouth, which was placed on top of my ice cream. "Since I'm an interior architect I dealt with a lot of wealthy people, but you're by far the most respectful, generous, and especially grateful one."

His pupils dilated in regard to my sentence and his cheeks tinted rosy. "Maybe it's because I've not always been wealthy and there was a hard time for me and my family where I was happy for the smallest things."

I rested my head on his shoulder. "I'm proud of you, Matteo. You're a great person, honestly."

Sadly I wasn't able to see his facial expression but I'd kill to do so right now. In my peripheral, I noticed how my ice cream dripped on his t-shirt.

"FUCK I'M SORRY!" I jumped up, covering my mouth in awe. Embarrassing. Embarrassing. Embarrassing. I wanted to do nothing more than to bury myself six feet under at the very right moment.

He slid his index finger over the stain, tasting it. "Cherry is not bad, I think I should try it next time." His eyes sparkled, getting up to walk to the next toilet.

As soon as he came back, I started apologizing immediately. "Don't worry, I'm not mad at you. Maybe we should walk instead of sitting." He grabbed after my free hand, leading us around and showing me all different kinds of animals.

"Lions are my favorite animals. What about you?" He asked as we stood in front of the lion enclosure, pointing a baby out.

"Swans, they're so graceful and elegant." Lies. Butterflies.

"Swans are gorgeous, just like you. So I see the connection."
"Oh c'mon now..." I started, not being able to finish the sentence as the flattery got a bit too close to my heart.

"I mean it. You're the most beautiful woman I've seen in my whole twenty-three years of life. Why else do you think I'm not able to take my eyes off you?"

Suddenly a little girl, about four years old tapped on Matteo's back. Her blonde hair was tied up into two piggy tails and she held two daisies in her left hand. He turned around and saw how she tried to jump on him.

A big grin appeared on his face as he kneeled to be at eye level with the little girl. "Is it for me?" I noticed how his voice sounded softer than ever and that did something to me. If he's good with children that's an immediate green flag for me.

She nodded with her little head and Matteo tucked the daisie behind his ear.

"Thank you so much, it's lovely!"
"Matteo we are in Italy, I guess she doesn't understand."

He laughed and patted her head two times as soft as possible. "Grazie mille, è bellissimo!" Matteo corrected and crinkled his eyes.

She jumped up and down several times as she walked to me and I did the same thing as he did, letting her put a daisie behind my ear. "Sei bella!" She exclaimed with a giggle, running back to her parents who stood next to the tree with a proud smile on their faces. They waved at us and we returned the favor as Matteo wrapped his arm around my waist.

I wish I could say something back but my Italian courses didn't pay off.

"It means that you are pretty," Matteo kissed my cheek, "And I couldn't agree more with that."