Chapter Twenty-Six

Lady (Y/n)'s mind was blank, she couldn't think anymore. She was hoping she fell asleep on the way here and this was a bad dream she'll soon wake up from. The King of Spades laughed and it sent a shiver down her spine, snaping her out of her daze, which confirmed to her that unfortunately, this really was a nightmare come true.
"Wife, are you that speechless that you won't run into my arms upon seeing me again?"
His voice was different, it didn't sound quite right, like his throat wasn't finished yet. But the words were undeniably his.
"Wh... What happened to Arnold?" she uttered.
"He's still in there. In a deep sleep. It's only a matter of time before his consciousness disappears. His soul's energy will be the push I need to be fully reborn."
"He's just a boy..."
"Which made him easy to control."
"He's your son." she frowned, not liking how he spoke about him.
"Which makes him the perfect vessel. And I have you to thank for."
"Me?" her eyes became wide open.

"When I watched you spend time with this pest, I first believed you had betrayed me. But you were still faithful. You've solved my murder, you've made the King of Hearts fall in love with you so he would follow you and leave the kingdom. You made the boy trust you, more than anyone. I've seen you through his eyes, he thinks the world of you!" he laughed. "And you abandoned him. Left him behind, for me to pick up. You believed in me, our bond of love made you see the truth: I've always been here, close to your heart and mind."
As he spoke, she shook her head in horror, covering her mouth with her hands.
"And now, I can destroy everything this little vermin and his bloodline have created." he pointed at Wally. "I will make the three kingdoms pays for what they've done to us!" he extended two arms. "Come to me, dear, let the first thing I feel again be your warmth in my embrace."
She kept covering her mouth, paralyzed.
"Sweet flower, you're still in shock."
He stepped towards her and she instinctively stepped back. They both stopped when Wally stood in front of her.
"You will not lay a finger on her."
"You're standing between us. Move, or I'll remove you."

"N-No."
He looked at her.
"No?"
"I'm not... Let Arnold go!"
"...You have betrayed me."
Out of fear, she held Wally's sleeve, making him look back at her. He held her hand before staring back at the King of Spades.
"I should've known." said man shook his head. "Your innocent mind was easily swayed when I wasn't there, when I was focused on the boy. You believed his pretty words and empty promises, yet you know what he's done! What did he tell you? He spoke of me, didn't he?" his form began to twitch, becoming unstable. "That little brat, always the victim. Blaming everyone but himse-!"
Wally took out a dagger and threw it towards a wall where the end of a rope was, tied into a big knot. Upon hitting it, the knot undid itself and one of the chandeliers fell down in the middle of the room. He quickly embraced (Y/n) and turned away from the thousands of glass shards that flew everywhere.
"We have to get everybody out, now." he ran out of the room, still holding her hand.

The shattering of the chandelier allerted other guards who they saw running over.
"Ring the alarm!" Wally exclaimed. "Evacuated the castl-"
Just then, the entire castle shook. The pipes groaned and moved the walls, making painting and decorations drop down.
"Aww, the land's little golden boy wants to save everyone." the King of Spades' voice echoed within the walls. "How heroic. Let me help you with that."
The floor began to move up and down like waves. The walls cracked, black liquid seeped out. Wally pulled (Y/n) closer. His eyes darted around, quickly thinking while also dodging every bit of ceiling crumbling down. Screams began to be heard all around the castle, the guests shaken awake and panicking. Soon enough, everyone began to run out of the castle.
"My Lady." he held (Y/n) by the shoulders and looked her in the eyes. "You have to get out of here as well."
"What will you do?" she placed her hands on top of his, ready to not let go of them if he plans on staying and fighting alone.
"There are some things I must retrieve. Get everyone to the training grounds, the farthest away from the castle. I'll see you there."
He planted a kiss on her forehead. This quick act would've made her blush if her mind wasn't occupied by the horror of their situation.
"Go."