Chapter Twenty

The news of the Spades Plague outbreak quickly spread throughout the Land of the Four Kingdoms and beyond. The High Council of Spades released an official statement on the matter, saying that – although they have unfortunately suffered some casualties (they've listed the names and wished them peace) – so far, compared to previous cases, this was of a smaller scale and has been safely quarantined. Still they advised everyone to be careful. They then gave out a list of symptoms to look out for, which was actually a good idea, since the Spades Plagues was a very...specific disease. That way people can easily differentiate it from a common cold, and so no one will succumb to paranoia. To list a few:

"Do you have difficulty moving your eyes, for they've turned to wood? Do you have patched of moss or mushroom growing out of your skin? Is your saliva turning orange? Can you hear the breathing of nature itself as you breathe along with it? If the answer to all of these questions is no, then congratulations, you do not have the Spades Plague!"

Of course, the esteemed guests of the Shuffing have made the connection with this news and Lady (L/n)'s sudden leave. She was praised for her bravery and selflessness.

As he said he would do, Wally stepped away from his studies only to attend the next official event of the Shuffling. Which was the Four-Season-Meal: a magical culinary immersive experience that simulated the passing of the four seasons. From lunch to dinner, the guests would be in the ballroom where large tables were set up. On the ceiling were clouds that would change depending on the season, which would change every hour or so. The windows would get covered and dead leaves would appear on the floor when autumn came, it would snow during winter. But right now, it was the middle of summer, the clouds were parted, the fake sky was bright and blue and the dishes served were refreshing.

Wally was being his usual perfect self, not a thing was out of place, not a word was spoken without thinking. However, his close friends could tell that his heart wasn't in it! Credit to that joke goes to Barnaby. They asked him about it in private and he told them what Lady (L/n) told him. Julie and Frank were both shocked and devastated. Barnaby sighed.
"I knew the Lady had secrets, but I would've never expected that." he said.
Julie sniffed, trying not to cry.
"Does she hate us now?" she asked in a little voice.
"Me, very probably so," Wally said, seemingly casual about this. "but not you nor Frank. She thinks I acted alone."
"And what did you say to that?" Frank asked.
"I told her she was right."
Julie slowly gasped.
"Ow Wallyyyy." she covered her mouth. "Wally nooo."

"She said she still wanted peace despite that. Still, if there is to be friction between our Kingdoms following this, I would rather it fall on only me." he smiled. "I can take it."
"Can you?" Frank raised an eyebrow, concerned. "You look...off."
Wally blinked twice and took a moment to look down at himself, his suit, his hands – front and back – then he patted his hair to check if it was still in place.
"No." he smiled at Frank.
"No, I mean you're acting off is all."
"Do I? Ah."
His three friends shared a worried look.
"Did anything else happen?" Julie asked.
"...Our conversation was cut short by the news from the Spades Kingdom."
All three of them let out a heavy sigh.
"Well, you ought to resume it once she comes back. If...If she can come back." Frank mumbled that last part. "I should study this Spades Plague later in the library."

Indeed, Wally didn't tell them about his confession. But since Barnaby knew of Wally's recent realization... He waited for the two of them to be alone.
"Must've been one kick in the heart." he patted his back.
Wally looked down, though his expression didn't change.
"...I hope she comes back soon."
"Me too bud, me too."
"Excuse me, your Highness?"
Wally straightened his posture and looked over to see Lady Catherine approaching him. She bowed.