Chapter Five

The next day, it was time for the next event of the Shuffling: the Hunt! The guests were lead to the edge of the forest within the estate. There were a lot of small tables scattered around the area, a few stands for drinks and food, and a huge one right in the middle. There was also a display of weapons, such as bows and crossbows, and other hunting gears. The King of Hearts stood in front of his guests and cleared his throat, getting everyone's attention.
"Welcome everyone." he said in a clear, booming voice that everyone could hear. "Welcome to the Shuffling's Hunt."
The audience applauded.
"We all know the rules: catch whatever animal you want and bring them back here." he gestured to the large table, the to the others. "We've prepared a tea party for the ladies, but really, anyone who is willing can participate. As long as they're not too young." he winked at a group of children.
"Dammit!" one small boy kicked the ground, which made people laugh.

"You have a variety of hunting equipment at your disposal, and may only use these." the king continued. "The game starts at the sound of trumpet, and shall end before dinner time." he hummed, acting like he was thinking. "Am I forgetting something...? Oh yes!" he smiled. "For this particular game, I've decided to make it more...exciting."
There were intrigued whispered shared amongst the crowd. The king's smile grew a bit bigger.
"At this very moment, my men are releasing some additional trophies that are not native to the Kingdom of Hearts. Taken from my personal zoo. Animals and other creatures, from all over the world, now infesting this very forest." he gestured behind him. "Not to worry, they're still harmless."
Suddenly, a loud roar echoed throughout the area, making the crowd flinch, some even gasped.
"Well. Most of them." the king shrugged, his smile unchanged.

(Y/n) gulped and glanced at Arnold, worried. But he looked as excited as ever, with a big smile on his face. This only made her more nervous.
"Whoever gets the best catch is the winner, and shall receive a very special award. You can play by yourself, or join forces with others. Whatever your heart tells you." he clapped his hands together. "You are given an hour and a half to prepare. Those who want to participate, please queue up to receive your bell."
One of the rules was for hunters to wear something that made sound so that other hunters don't mistake them for animal. The small silver bell was attached to a ribbon that one could tie to their wrist, or wherever they chose. Some have pointed out that the bell would just alert the animals of their presence. But they were reassured with the fact that there bells have been enchanted for their sound to be heard only by other wearers.

After talking to Arnold about their strategy for the day, Lady (Y/n) went to look for Mr. Dear. She found him preparing himself for the hunt.
"Lady (L/n)!" he beamed when he saw her. "I hope the day finds you well."
"Thank you, Mr. Dear. Hello to you too." she nodded. "May I say, you have a certain...glow about you." she leaned back with a teasing smile. "Like you are in a really good mood."
"Oh I can't hide anythin' from you milady." he scratched the back of his neck with a bashful chuckle. "Yes I am indeed. The reason for which I wanted to share with you, as I told you in my letter."
"I remember, yes. Well then please, do tell. And spare the juicy details for after the hunt, to keep me on the edge of my seat."
They shared a laugh then moved to a different spot, to have a bit of privacy.
"So," he leaned a bit closer. "at the ball, the King of Diamonds came to me, said he had an important mission for me. He then asked me to fetch him this new butterfly he's been hearin' about- after the Shuffling of course."
"Of course." she nodded.
"And, and then he talked about this new specimen, describing it in precise detail so that I may easily identify it in the wild. And then the conversation changed to more insects he would also like."

"...Oh." she said, trying not to sound too disappointed. "So you just...talked about bugs?"
"Well, he did mostly. I dunno anything about that stuff." he waved a hand. "I don't even like insects all that much."
"Oh! Well then, that must've been a bore to you..."
"Oh not at all! I love listening to him talk- I mean!" he blushed, suddenly tense. "Wh-WHen someone rambles about their interest, they have a certain spark in their eyes! And it's just lovely to see!"
She chuckled. She noted that his southern accent would become heavier whenever he panicked.
"I understand now. It's good to know that you have a mission from a King waiting for you after the Shuffling."
He tilted his head, a bit perplexed.
"Most people would say it's a lotta pressure."
"Why? If anything, it's an honor. A mission given by the King personally nonetheless."
"...You're quite patriotic, huh Lady (L/n)?"
She chuckled, not sure how to respond to that.