NINE

Amara

Tap Tap Tap.

I sigh as I watch my fingers tap against the table. I glance at the clock briefly.

3:30

Ridiculous. He asked me out here, and now he blows me off. I want to give him another chance, but he must work with me here.

I pulled out my phone and tried to call him. But, of course, there's no answer.

I pack my things and head back to my apartment.

"Hey, you look down," Amanda says to me as I shut the door behind me.

"Yeah, Cody blew me off."

She places her hands on her hips and her eyes go wide. "Again?"

I nod. "I'm calling it early today, goodnight."

I am stopped by Amanda grabbing my hand and pulling me back.

"Oh, hell no!" She exclaims. "We are going out."

I widened my eyes and pulled my hand from her grasp. "No, we aren't. You know I don't go out like that."

She scoffs. "I have known you for a good minute and I have never seen you drunk."

"Yeah, because no one has seen me drunk. I stole my parent's alcohol once when I was 15, but the second I started feeling tipsy I got scared and took it back, and then went to bed." I tell her truthfully.

It may sound weird. Me not drinking like crazy. Or at least a little. But I haven't ever been into it. After getting scared that once it gave me some kind of fear of alcohol. I never understood why people like it.

Amanda pales. "Mara, you can't be serious. You got scared?? Okay, listen. If Cody can go out and blow you off multiple times in a week, you deserve one night out to get your mind off things. I will be with you all night, nothing can happen to you, okay?"

I bite the inside of my cheek before I sigh and shake my head. "Sorry Amanda. I really don't want to."

I start to walk away before Amanda whispers, "Okay, fine. But maybe if you show Cody, you can be fun and won't stay home all day moping about him, it would make him act right."

I stop in my tracks,

Is that what he thinks? That I will just mope around about him?

I roll my eyes, the thought angering me. I threw my bag on the floor and turned around.

"I'm in."

Cody

The kid was taken by a grown man who had nothing but horrible plans for her. Thankfully he was dealt with and is now in the back of a police car, crying for his mother. 

Also, thankfully the man did not put up a hard fight and my stitches were still okay. I was incredibly sore however, I needed to take it easy. Each hiss of pain just reminded me of Phantom and that angered me beyond belief.

The kid is now back with her parents and safe and sound. The man was able to catch her parents off guard and grab her from the store they were in. 

As I watch the girl hug her crying parents, I am reminded why I started this hero thing. To bring peace to those who need it, to help the defenseless. In this moment I care about nothing I have missed. If I had gone to the plans with Mara then this little girl would have been long gone, Lord knows the police would have taken too long. 

I am not sure how I'm going to explain this to my girl, but I'm sure she will get over any hard feelings about this. 

She loves me after all.

Amara

"There, perfect!" Amanda says as she twists the lipstick tube back in place.

I turn to the mirror and smile. I actually look really good. We did a neutral look with dark red lips. My hair is down and curled, reaching my mid-back. As for the outfit, I am wearing blue jeans shorts that reach the upper thigh and a black tank top.

Personally, I think it's a bit much, but Amanda insisted.

She looks amazing in her smokey eye, and crop top with jeans.

"Ready?" She asks.

"Yeah, one second." I reach over and grab my white ribbon. Placing my hair half up and half down secured by the ribbon. I pull some strands out of the front and nod.

"Hmmm. Usually, I hate the ribbons, but this is nice!" She speaks.

"Uhm. Thanks?"

10 minutes later we are in the Uber, and she reaches me a fireball shot. I look at her and raise my eyebrows.

"Pregame!" She answers.

I give her an odd look as I watch her tip her head back and drink it all. I mock her moves and begin coughing immediately.

"Shit, that burns!" I told her.

"That's how you know it's good! Don't worry! We are just getting started!"

God help me.