Chapter 11: His mom caught me checking out her son

Start from the beginning

“What did you do?” He asked, head tilted to the side as confusion and frustration took over his features. I shrugged.

“Did you seriously follow me around, breaking blocks?” He asked, crossing his arms. I nodded.

“Ugh, no more Minecraft for you.” He stated, exiting the game. I frowned, puckering out my bottom lip.

“Why not?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

“You seriously want to play that still?” He asked, glancing at me. I shook my head.

"Nah, I actually have something for you.” I replied, digging into my bag. I was searching for the small, red invitation that the girl gave me earlier.

“What is it?” He asked warily. I rolled my eyes.

“It’s an invitation to the new girl, Leila’s, party.” I said, shrugging as I handed him the note. He looked at it and crumbled it up.

“What? You’re not going?” I asked, deflated. His rude behavior shocked me slightly.

“What’s the point? I’ll just be hanging out with people I don’t like.” He said, shrugging.

“It’ll be fun and I told her I’d give you the invite, if you don’t go- she’ll blame me!” I said, frowning.

“Why should I go?” He asked, rolling his eyes at my lame excuse.

"It’ll be a good time to meet Riley and Christy and maybe some other people.” I said, smiling weakly.

“O…Kay.” He said, thinking it over once more. I grinned.

“Great.” I smirked. He rolled his eyes, turning back to the game.

__

I paused the game as he gave me an exasperated look. “What?” He asked, annoyed. I frowned at his tone. He scrunched up his nose.

“I promised someone I’d ask you something.” I said, biting my lip.

“You sure seem to talk about me a lot.” He winked. I scowled at him, annoyed.

“Anyway,” I snorted, changing the subject. “Miranda says you’re her secret boyfriend that she has make out sessions with. Well, not those exact words- but something like that.”

“What?” He said, confused. I nodded my head, into the gossip that was spewing.

“Yeah, and then she told me to ask you and when I mentioned that we’re going to be hanging out-“ Cue his stupid smirk here. “-She threatened that she was going to seek vengeance upon my soul if it’s the last thing she does, and again, just a summary of her words.” I spoke, ignoring his smirk with an eye roll.

“Vengeance-Sm-engeance,” He mocked, rolling his eyes. I laughed slightly. “But no, if it really bothers you that much- we aren’t secret boyfriend and girlfriend and I would never ever, ever, ever, ever lock lips with that… girl.” He said, rephrasing his words. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“I never said it bothers me. It doesn’t bother me, sure, I’d be creeped out, but it won’t bother me. What you do is your business. Not mine.” I lied, shrugging. He grinned even deeper, somehow sensing the jealousy burning in my internal organs… or it could’ve been gas.

“Yeah, whatever.” He said as we turned back towards the game.

__

“Dinner!” Patricia called from downstairs.

“I guess I should be leaving…” I trailed off awkwardly.

“No, you can stay for dinner.” Cyrus said at the same time his mother agreed with ‘Don’t think about leaving Maverly!’ I nodded, smiling as we trailed down the stairs. We reached the kitchen before I even considered the awkwardness that was about to commence. Cyrus grinned at me as my eyes widened in shock. We were eating dinner, at a table, with Oliver and Patricia who were grinning mischievously.

I had a bad feeling about this as Cyrus lounged over to the fridge and I stared at his muscular back. I turned back to Patricia who was grinning at me and I felt my face turn red. How embarrassing is that?! To be caught by his mom whilst checking him out?

__

“So… how long have you two been dating?” Oliver said, smiling with a playful twinkle in his eyes. Cyrus just sat back as I stuttered over my words. Dating?! DATING!?

“No, Cyrus and I aren’t, we are not, no, just, we aren’t, not, no,” I sighed. “Cyrus and I are just friends.” I said as Cyrus smirked. I glared at him.

“Yeah, that’s what they all say.” Oliver added, staring lovingly at Patricia.

“Gross.” Cyrus said, voicing my thoughts. Oliver laughed as he muttered something about ‘waiting until love strikes.’

“What are you planning for your first date?” Patricia teased, giggling. Cyrus grinned as I stuttered over my words again, flustered and nervous.

“I don’t have feelings for Cyrus in that way.” I explained.

“You have to at least be attracted to his looks, eh? Beautiful boy, my son is.” Patricia teased.

“Yeah, he’s handsome… I guess you can say that.” I said awkwardly, nervously shifting in my chair. I couldn’t lie and say that her son is the ugliest thing to walk the planet aside from myself but I also couldn’t say he was hot, he was my friend and I wanted to keep our friends intact.

“Okay, okay. The poor girl is embarrassed.” Patricia said. I sighed in relief as they stopped questioning me. They shared a look and turned towards the oblivious Cyrus who was pushing around the food on his plate.

“She’s cute when she’s embarrassed, isn’t she?” Patricia said grinning as Cyrus choked on his mashed potatoes.

“Excuse me?” He choked. It was my turn to sit back even though I wanted the floor to split into two and Hornswoggle, the midget wrestler, to pop out and rip me into the dark, depths of Satan’s realm.

“She’s cute, huh?” Patricia said as Cyrus coughed awkwardly. Is he going to say ‘no?’ Probably, most likely.

“Yeah.” Cyrus muttered, spooning mashed potatoes into his mouth as I felt my face turn red. Oliver pointed and childishly snickered.

“So you like her?” Patricia said bluntly. I wanted to jump out of the window.

“What?” Cyrus said embarrassed which made him ten times cuter.

“You’ve been having her hang out with you for the past few days, a few weeks even. I’ve never seen you bring anyone other than Sean and Avery… other than some other people.” Oliver said, dully ending the sentence.

“But that doesn’t mean that I like her. We’re j-just friends, mom and dad.” He said, trying to emphasize the ‘mom and dad’ part of the sentence.

“I was just wondering… when was the last time that you’ve talked to Sean and Avery?” Oliver said, grinning.

“I talked to them a week ago.” Cyrus said, glaring at his father.

“Boy, what do you know? Isn’t that when I found you laughing in your room at a funny text message? And when I asked to see it, you said ‘it’s private’ and tossed your phone onto the couch?” Patricia grinned as Cyrus’s face grew red with anger and embarrassment.

“And your good ole ex volley ball playing mom who is much faster than you, ran to the phone and saw a text from dearest Maverly. It wasn’t that funny either, in fact, it was quiet serious and you were giggling like a little school girl.” Patricia said, grinning. Cyrus glared at his mother.

“I hate you people.” He said through gritted teeth as they laughed loudly and I couldn’t help but crack a smile.

“You don’t hate us!” Oliver said as Cyrus huffed and went back to his food.

___

I ended up leaving and smiling as Cyrus glared at me. Before I was out of the door, I looked at Cyrus who was standing in the doorway while his mom and dad were in their offices.

“Bye little School Girl.” I wriggled my eyebrows which caught him off guard. His face grew red as I blew him a kiss and ran outside, laughing loudly at his expression. Things were going good, but all good things come to an end.