Febuwhump Day Nine: Bees

Author's Note: Am I projecting insect phobia onto every single Batch member? Yes. Do I feel bad? No.

~ Rivana Rita

Apparently, Wrecker and Omega's only fears are heights and 'giant flying monsters'. Hunter isn't even surprised.

It started as an oh-so-normal disastrous mission as mercenaries, and Hunter made the mistake of sending Wrecker and Omega off alone.

After the number of mishaps Wrecker and Crosshair used to get into, he'd have thought he'd learn to not put the kids together, but here they are.

"There were giant things," Omega says, wide-eyed and panting as Hunter tries to get it out of them why in the stars they're running away from something he can't even see, why he heard blaster fire, and why the two of them mutually went on their faces as they crossed the ridge. "With wings –"

"– and huge stingers!" Wrecker adds, eyes wide and unblinking.

"– they were enormous –"

"– 'n they tried to eat us!"

Hunter sighs. Loudly. He trusts their judgment in these... things being dangerous, but these are Wrecker and Omega, and they get. Well. Jittery. He can't tell if this is a reason for mission compromission or not yet. "You couldn't shoot them?"

"They were too fast!" Omega insists, still panting. One of her hands is bleeding again – he can smell the blood, though the scent is mild. Apparently, the only thing Omega is scared of is heights – thanks to the near-fall on Pantora, though she handles it far better than Wrecker does, and... flying monsters?

Wait.

Tech did warn them about something like that.

"Did you wake the beehive?" Hunter asks tiredly, because Tech gave them literally all the warnings they needed to stay away from those things.

After being sent to a planet where everything was dilated by a hundred, he shouldn't even be surprised.

Standing next to these giant flowers still makes him feel stupidly small.

"They were bigger than me!" Omega insists.

"'nd they were so loud!" As if Wrecker could be bothered by sound. He loves explosions.

"I thought you were only afraid of heights," Hunter replies dryly.

"'m not afraid of heights!" Wrecker whines, "I just got a problem with gravity! And with humongous monsters trynna eat me!"

"You know, if you shoot them in the eye, it –"

"Tell them to hold still long enough!"

Omega shudders.

Okay. Okay, fine.

Bees aren't meat eaters, though. They live on these giant flowers everywhere. Doesn't mean they weren't trying to sting them for waking them up.

"I hate this planet!" Wrecker wails.

Ugh. Hunter hates it too.

"As soon as we get what we came for, we can get outta here."

Omega shudders again.

"You okay, kid?" Hunter asks finally because he should probably worry about that, first. Even if it's minor, it feels like all that ever happens is Omega being hurt, no matter how hard he tries to protect her from it. It's – it's just never something he can control. It's hard.

"Yeah," Omega promises, shivering again, "I'm okay."

He still smells the blood, though. It's – his brothers got hurt all the time when they were little, but they wear gloves now, and his hands are calloused enough that it'd be very hard to skin them.

This is the second time Omega's gotten hurt like that, though.

It happens. It happens, he can stop panicking about it.

"Maybe you two can wait on the ship until –"

He feels something warm and big approaching. Whatever it is, it's flying, and it's big – definitely bigger than Omega, and he can hear buzzing in the distance, and –

"Maybe we all can wait on the ship until Echo and Tech get back."

What? No, he's not running. He wouldn't hide from a bee, even if it is five feet long. He's just being tactical.

Obviously.

Final Notes: Reviews are always appreciated! ^-^

Come hang out on Discord (delete spaces), discord . gg / nqSxuz2 or find us on tumblr at @fanfictasia (our more serious blog which does have controversial posts on it; I won't be offended if you choose to block it, promise), and @disastertriowriting (which is our fun blog with crack posts or incorrect SW quotes)

We've got a YT channel for tributes! (delete the spaces) youtube . com / channel / UC_g1M5rSCxJUzQCRS29B6pA

ALSO: We have SW gift request forms for General, Anakin-Clones-centric, and Bad Batch fics. :D (delete spaces) bit . ly / CourtesyTrefflinFicRequests