*4*

The dining hall was busy, but hushed, somehow. Everyone spoke in light murmurs, the loudest sound the cutlery chiming off the china plates. The lights were muted, giving a cozy golden glow that left plenty of corners shrouded in shadow. 

Dark red, velvet drapes framed the floor-to-ceiling windows, adding to the general gloom. 

"Swanky," Niki commented, leaning closer to speak into Zara's ear. "Did we get lost and accidentally come to the professor's dining hall?"

Zara, unphased by the opulence, shook her head, startled by the sudden proximity. "No," she whispered back. "I recognize a few of the other students."

It was easy enough to find Damon at a table near the center of the room, already surrounded by a flock of girls. He threw her a look of pleading that she ignored. Everyone already knew their engagement had fallen through. And she still wasn't feeling quite charitable enough to save him. 

She let Niki lead her across the room, surreptitiously scanning the hall for more familiar faces. Damon had been right. Any Family who had an heir their age was represented here. 

The dark-haired, emerald-eyed Family la Befana heir sat holding a book, mindlessly twirling her fork instead of eating. 

The twins from Family Grimhilde sat near a window, the brother-and-sister pair appearing deep in conversation despite the fact they spoke not a word. Arkyn suddenly glanced over, his diamond-clear eyes appraising her with glacial coolness.

Zara raised her eyebrows in silent question, her gaze sliding to Astrid. Both twins shrugged at the same time, leaving Zara feeling a bit thrown. Her last interaction with the Grimhilde twins had been...less than pleasant.

And witches weren't exactly known for their forgiving natures. 

Deciding to leave that to be worked out later, Zara went back to examining the line-up. Family Laveau. Family Gowdie. Family Southeil. Yaga, Fortune, Cabot, la Voisin, Kyteler.

Then...there were the ones she suspected were witches but didn't recognize. 

Her mother hadn't been wrong when she said Belmare was famous worldwide. Every race and nationality was represented. And that was just the witches.

Zara forced herself to stay calm as a pack of werewolves rushed by, fur and fangs sprouting. One of the males snapped his teeth at her, and Zara's hand darted to the bag at her hip before she shoved the impulse down. 

A nearby vampire snickered, her fangs flashing in the light as she eyed Zara. Ice-blonde hair and gleaming red eyes. Skin so pale it was almost powdery. Sonia Tepesh. Zara stared back at her, letting her fingers tap against the leather bag at her hip.

The vampire rolled her eyes, turning back to gossip with the coven members hanging off her every word. 

"Do you know her?" Niki asked, her voice quiet for once.

Zara jolted, having completely forgotten about the presence of her roommate. 

"Um." Zara pursed her lips, striding toward an empty table in the corner of the room. Niki plopped down into the opposite chair, then leaned forward, chin on fists, eyes eager. Zara sighed. "I've known a lot of the monsters from major families since forever."

Yet another reason she had hoped her application to Belmare would fall through.

"Richie rich," Niki said with a knowing nod. She smiled, teeth bright white in the dim lighting. "I figured that out for myself, funnily enough. I know how the politics work. But Tepesh looked like she knew you, knew you."

Zara wasn't exactly sure what the distinction was. A waiter brought menus and took their orders, Niki mumbling under her breath the whole time about the upper crust. When he was gone, she turned those piercing red eyes back on Zara.

She would find out about her roommate's penchant for violence sooner or later. Might as well come direct from the source. Zara took a sip of water and shrugged. "I stabbed her in the heart once."

Niki immediately choked on her water, coughing so hard heads turned in their direction. Zara fluttered her hands uselessly, not sure how to help. After a long moment, Niki sucked in a breath, eyes wide and watering. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Um..." Zara ran her hands over her hair. "We went to high school together? She had invited me out our freshman year. I had never really met a vampire before. It went from a...reasonably interesting date to a horror movie pretty fast. She had a taste for witch blood and thought I would be an easy target. But I'm not."

Niki sat with her mouth open, gaping even when the waiter brought their dishes back. Zara began to cut into the food on her plate, neither seeing what was there nor remembering what she ordered. 

She waited for her roommate to pass judgement, wondering what would happen if the lamia didn't want to room with a homicidal maniac.

"Well... what did...Um, I mean..." Niki stabbed blindly at her veal. "She's still alive?"

"Mm." Zara's mouth twisted. "Yes. Unfortunately, the only thing I had on me was a hairpin made of metal. No wood."

That had changed, of course. Now she carried a wooden dagger with her everywhere, among other things. 

"Okay..." Niki let out a breath. "Okay. Um, so she did kind of deserve it. But...just out of curiosity. How...How do I also avoid being stabbed by you?"

Zara laughed, puzzled and oddly warmed by the lamia's reaction. "Just don't, you know, try to maim or kill me and we'll be good."

Niki nodded, staring down at her plate for a moment. A gentle frown put wrinkles in her brow. Her eyes darted up to Zara, then away, then back again. She let out a deep sigh as she sat back. "I've seen bits and pieces of your future. I'm seeing more now that our relationship has been cemented in this timeline." She pursed her lips. "Do you want me to tell you?"

"No."

The lamia lifted a perfectly manicured brow at the abrupt answer.

Zara smiled an apology, taking a bite of what she found out was chicken. "I've learned the hard way knowing the future doesn't really do anyone a whole lot of favors. Better to just take it as it comes."

You could only fight the battle in front of you, after all. 

Word Count: 1,019

Total: 3,454