13. Reunions and Harsh truths

Bal found it very hard to leave his wife and child, but such is life, with twists and turns least expected.

The family began travelling again, when one day, while resting, Bal was very hungry. So, Dayanidhi and Vasuni elected to go bring food for everyone.

Meanwhile, while the family was resting, they were approached by a rishi.

" Pranipat rishivar. Welcome. Please tell us how we may serve you. " Dharmjeet asked.

" I have been travelling for a long time . I only require some water."  He told the children.

" Of course yes, rishivar. My sister, Jyeshtha has gone to get us some water. Till then what shall we do? "  Rujut asked.

" Hmm. You seem like able and smart people. I want to hear a story. "

" Story? " Gopal asked.

"Yes. A story. Can't you people do that for me? Should I leave here unsatisfied? "

" Nahi nahi rishivar. Please hold on. Our mata will tell you a wonderful story. " Ashwa implored.

" Nahi! You have to tell me a story.  Other than that, any child of your mother must tell me a story. " He insisted, while the others just looked at him. Wary, Sceptical... Surprised?

" Rishivar.  My name is Vasuni. I am the eldest child of the family. This is my anuja. Dayanidhi. Please go to rishivar and tell him a story. " Vasuni said, suddenly, standing there with fruits, having watched the whole incident.

" Ji Jyeshth. " She said, looking up at the rishi.

The moment she looked up, the rishi was shook. His goal had been achieved. He had found his Karunika. He had found the lady of his dreams. But, the Narayanansh has to live up to his name. He also wished to complete his leela. Which did not last long....

As she bent down to touch his feet, he suddenly realised how his own leela will backfire on him. He couldn't allow her to touch his feet. It was not nice.

" Aaree. Devi. What are you doing. I have asked you to tell a story, not massage my legs. You. You -you just tell me a story. "

" But rishivar. You might be tired. I'll massage your legs while telling you a story. " She said, hand going towards his feet again.

"Nahi Devi. You will make me worthy of a sin. In my village, women aren't allowed to touch the feet of men, unless they are in direct relation to them. Please tell me the story. Your-your Jyeshth is there. He'll do it. Yes, he'll do it. " He told her panicking.

" But how can we let our Jyeshth work when we are still alive. No.. Jyeshtha will tell you a story, while we'll massage your legs. " Bal told him.

"As it suits you. " He said, sighing in relief. He couldn't under any circumstances let her touch his feet.

" Alright. So my story starts, when there was a princess in a large palace. She with her brothers went to their Nanihal for some work. There, the princess encountered a handsome prince, with beautiful blue eyes, and dark curly hair. She only met the prince once and was completely mesmerized by him, so far to say that she would marry him, if they talked to each other more but then she was  challenged by fate. The princess and her brothers went away to another palace on the outskirts of the city for some work, but were about to be killed in a fire that burnt her house down, had it not been a family member to help them escape. The princess's mother then decided that they couldn't go back to the palace, as it was no longer their home and so, the young princess with a heavy heart moved forward, choosing her family over her love. It hurt every day, and would probably still hurt her, as she had sent a letter, but never recived an answer. So the princess decided to spend her life, loving the same prince, with whom she had established a mystical connection and lived her life peacefully. Today, if the prince would be before her, she would apologize to him for not writing the letter quickly
enough. "  Karunika finished, tears in her eyes, while her brothers all looked at her with saddened eyes, not knowing the amount of pain she carried. Bal was suddenly very guilty of marrying his loved one, his Hidimba, all the while his sister longed for hers.