6. Truths, Tears and Triumphs

For Kunti, telling her eldest daughter the truth, was harder than climbing up the mountains. For climbing a mountain, one can be supported by friends and family, but who supports those who have lied?

" Mata.... What did you do. You hid a gem from us. Why didn't you look for him after your marriage. I'm sure pitashree would have accepted him. Wouldn't he? " Karunika shakily asked.

" I don't know putri. I can't say much about anything. It was my fault. But now, I want him to know me. His mata.. "

" His mata is Radha ma . That is who he has respected all his life. You must tell him the truth and see what he says. It is your truth to tell mata. Do it before it is too late. He has already made Arjun his competition. He will fight him. It's better that he doesn't know who he is on his deathbed-"

" PUTRI!  You call him your brother and you say this! I have told you before as well.
सत्यं ब्रूयात् प्रियं ब्रूयात्।

You should say the truth, but with love. "

" Mata, whatever that may be. He needs to know. I will tell my brothers. You tell him.

" But putri-"

" Nahi mata. He has suffered enough. First at the hands of society, then us. " Karunika said, steeling her resolve. She widhed to cry. But time demanded her patience more than it allowed her outflow of emotions.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

" Bhrataon. I need to tell you something important. "

" Ji Jyeshtha. Have you finally found your favourite weapon? " Arjun asked.

" Really, is it, the gada? " Bheem enquired, eyes lighting up, while the younger three brothers were hopeful for their own choice of weapon being chosen.

" Bheem, Arjun.  Let Jyeshtha speak. Maun raho. " Yudhishthir told them.

" Nahi. It's something more important. "

" Ji , speak na Jyeshtha. We are eager to know. " Nakul said.

" Uh.. It's just that.  Bhrata Karn. Bhrata- bhrata K-Karn-"

" Did he hurt you Jyeshtha. We will go and teach him a lesson. You advocated for his rights and he hurt you? We will not spare him. " Bheem angered.

" Nahi Bheem. Stop. It's just-"

" Jyeshtha, please speak freely. We won't judge you. "  Sahdev told her.

" It's not about me. It's. This truth is. Bhrata Karn is our - el-elder-elder br-brother. "

There was pin drop silence in the room.  Smiling faces became dumbstruck, while the worried ones had more wrinkles on their faces then even the folds of waves in the ocean.

" Wh-wha-what.  Maharathi Karn is our eldest brother. What kind of game are you playing Jyeshtha. This is not a funny
joke. " Arjun whispered.

Fearing this answer, she told the brothers the truth. How her mother, forced by the shackles of society had to let go of her son, their eldest brother, to protect her father's honor.

" Jyeshtha. What has mata done. We could never in our wildeat dreams imagine something like this.  We need to talk to matashree. Right now! " Yudhishthir said, too stunned to process anything right now.

" Yudhishthir! As of now, she has gone to meet Jyeshth bhrat Karn. We need to be patient. " Karunika told them all.

They would wait, but everyone's patience wore thin, until finally, Karunika decided to take them all with her.