Chapter 8

Zack's POV

Huddled in our makeshift sanctuary, the dim light barely illuminates the pages of the book Zoe managed to snag from the library. Its title sends shivers down my spine: "The Bloodbound Necromance." The cover is old, the leather cracked, and it feels like it's pulsating under my fingertips.

"Guys, listen to this," Zoe says, her voice trembling as she reads aloud. The book details the origins of vampires, creatures born not of nature but of dark magic wielded by a being known only as the Master.

According to "The Bloodbound Necromance," the Master sought to create an army, beings loyal only to him, fueled by a hunger that could never be sated, humon blood. These vampires were his first successful creations, molded from shadows and human despair.

"The Master used ancient rituals, sacrifices to bind these creatures to his will," Lily adds, her eyes wide as she scans the pages. "It says here that each vampire carries a piece of his essence, making them extensions of his will."

The descriptions are vivid, horrifying. The Necromance speaks of nights turned into hunting grounds, of villages erased from memory by the insatiable thirst of these beings. The illustrations are grotesque, showing twisted figures emerging from the darkness, their eyes glowing with a malevolent light and blood dripping from their mouths.

"We need to find a way to stop them," I say, the weight of our task settling heavily on my shoulders. "There has to be something in here about their weaknesses."

We delve deeper into the book, searching for any knowledge that could turn the tide in our favor. The Necromance ,describes the vampires' aversion to sunlight, their need to feed on human blood to maintain their strength, and most importantly, their loyalty to the Master.

"It says here that if the Master is destroyed, his creations will fall," Zoe whispers, hope flickering in her eyes. "But no one knows who he is, or where he resides."

The room grows colder, the air thick with the realization of the battle ahead. We're not just fighting creatures of the night; we're up against an ancient evil that has plotted its return for centuries.

"This is bigger than we thought," Lily murmurs, closing the book with a sense of finality. "But now we know what we're dealing with."

As we sit in silence, the horror of our situation sinks in. We're teenagers, not warriors or mages. Yet, fate has thrust us into this nightmare, making us the unlikely defenders of Crestwood Heights.

"We'll figure this out, together," I say, trying to infuse my words with more confidence than I feel. Zoe and Lily nod, their determination mirroring my own.

The night outside presses against the windows, a reminder that our time is running out. "The Bloodbound Necromance," lies between us, both a guide and a grim warning of the darkness that awaits.

But we're not alone. We have each other, and now, we have knowledge—our most potent weapon against the Master and his minions. The battle lines are drawn, and though we may be afraid, we're also resolute.

"We start tomorrow," Zoe declares, her voice steady. "We find the Master, and we end this."

Lily's POV

Sitting in the dim light of our hideout, "The Bloodbound Necromance" lying open before us, a heavy silence envelops the room. My mind can't help but drift to Jess. The vibrant, life-loving friend I knew, could she really be a vampire now? The thought sends a pang of sadness through me.

"Jess... could she still be in there, somewhere?" I whisper, breaking the silence. Zoe and Zack look up, their faces etched with concern.

"It's hard to say," Zack responds softly. "According to this, vampires lose themselves. But there's always a chance, right?"